1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumping Google

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Before I get in to why I am doing it -- and it's really a simple explanation -- I'd like to hear people's favorite and viable alternatives.

Here's what I want to switch from Google's services:

1. Calendar. I COULD use Mac/Apple's iCal or the more pricey models. But I want something I can access on the web at work.

2. Mail. Yahoo? Hotmail? Any good Windows clients (already got a great one[Sparrow} for Mac.

The rest I can live by on but the two above are essential that I start moving away from.

Bonus would be Google Reader alternative.

2. ethics

Google Calendar sub? https://calendar.zoho.com/mycalendar#

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure if there IS a match for gmail. As much as I hate the changes they're making, I don't think anyone else comes close. Yahoo MIGHT be a runner, but time will tell with the changes they've recently made.

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

iCloud? Calendar sync is fantastic on idevices and can be accessed on website.

Still want to hear your reasoning. I'm still using gmail (exchange mode) in iPhone/iPad and google reader. Gave up on their crappy calendar a while back.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

All I know is I got this email today and I don't even really know what it means:

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find acceptable alternatives. Now please explain the why. :popcorn:

7. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Maybe we need to develop a suitable solution.

I think the genius would be to find something that works and people like and then JUST LEAVE IT ALONE and stop screwing with it.

We could be rich!

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Are we ever going to get to hear the why?

9. ethics

Yes, after you tell me that Penguins suck in a post. :p

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Let me ponder that one for a while. I'll get back to you.

11. ethics

Well, it finally happened. For a little while I thought it would be canned but... here's my reasons in a nutshell as to why I was doing this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers-across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html

12. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

You can bet that's going to get challenged in a hurry. There's already a complaint before FTC. You know this announcement will not bode well for that particular case.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

I don't like it one bit. I have gmail as a secondary mail program. Is there something else that can be substituted in addition to my regular program? I got out of G+ already. What is a good search engine to substitute for Google? And how long is it likely to remain a good substitute before it too gets on the bandwagon?

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Ah, didn't see this before I posted. Any chance Google will get smacked down in the very near future?

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Uh-oh, I just saw an earlier post that answers my questions. Don't hotmail and yahoo mail have problems with getting hacked more that the usual? I didn't see a good search engine suggestion other than Google in the earlier posting.

16. ethics

Challenged? Sure, it's a private company and if you don't like it, there's the door. Which is why I was already looking at other options.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

It's not quite that bad. Just dump all Google services that require logging in. Even better if you use your browser settings to control what sites may set cookies, and don't add any Google sites to your allow list. You'll still be able to use Google search just fine, except they won't know who you are and won't be able to "enhance your user experience." I have mine set that way and they have no idea who I am as far as I know.

As far as the other services, I'm with Leon. I've always been annoyed at sites who want to know things about me that I can't make up or skip. I'm surprised you folks put up with it as long as you have, although it does appear that things are tightening up recently.

I still have a Gmail account. I look at it about once every six months. As soon as I close my browser the cookie is gone and I'm back to being just another anonymous Internet user.

(I know there are other ways of tracking people, e.g. flash cookies, and what's worse--that stuff is so technical I'm not even sure how I can be tracked or how safe I am from not being tracked except by ordinary browser cookies.)

18. Greg

Greg Full Member

Not sure if this additional comment is sufficiently on topic...

I've been pretty annoyed lately at how often Google Analytics shows as I watch my browser load websites, more and more often lately, and I'm bothered by the possibility that Google could be in league with the site I'm accessing and some personal information may leak over from that site to Google.

I've had the same concern when sites use Google's APIs, such as when I see googleapis.com show up in my browser's display of sites being accessed as I load pages.

I'm becoming worried that privacy is going to disappear even if we refuse to participate in sites such as G+ and the other stuff mentioned above.

What if they take our privacy away and our only recourses are to lose privacy or not use the Internet at all.

19. ethics

This breakup of what it means, no BS, no beating around the bush, no anti-pro Google stance:

http://marketingland.com/google-terms-of-service-privacy-policy-4293

20. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Unless I missed it in here somewhere, has anyone found a viable alternative(s) to Google's products yet?