1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Dump All Other OS's

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

2. Biker

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I'm reading through all your links now. But do you think this might be my problem?

Screenshot - 01262013 - 04:25:38 PM.png

4. Biker

I honestly don't know. I've never had the need to run a SAMBA server at all. Are the shares set properly on the Windows Server?

5. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yeah, near as I can tell they are. I think my problem(s) is Network related. I can't even connect to my other machines via RealVNC. Keep getting this error.

Screenshot - 01262013 - 04:47:53 PM.png

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I rebooted my server and I can now connect to it via RealVNC from my Linux box.

6. Biker

Have you enable NetBIOS?

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yes. Or should I change it to "Enable over TCP/IP"?

Screenshot - 01262013 - 05:56:57 PM.png

8. Biker

Enable over TCP/IP.

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Still can't get the Networking stuff resolved but......

I have to say after using Mint for a few days now I am very impressed with it. The speeds I am experiencing simply rendering web pages is amazing; even compared to Ubuntu. It's been a great experience overall. If I can just get this networking issue resolved, I may be on my way to dumping Windows (except for gaming and some work things).

Anyone interested in a remote desktop session to fix the networking thing?

10. Biker

11. Andrey

Andrey A man who sold the world

I don't see any glue here, I can install XFce in Ubuntu, Debian or almost any non-deb environment like CentOS, Gentoo or Slackware.

Frankly speaking, XFce definitely is not the fastest windows manager. Just look at Lxde (I use it with my Debian) or OpenBox.

I've installed Mint few years ago, I don't see the difference between it and Ubuntu + non-free repositories in sources.lst file or Debian with the same option.

Linux Mint is completely based on the same packages database, it's just the question of default packages list and several configuration settings.

12. Biker

Mint is getting away from Ubuntu and slowly reverting back to the Debian tree. And again, the difference between LXDE and XFCE is negligible.

13. Andrey

Ok, I've missed your previous post about performance. Now I got it.

Yup, they have so called "Linux Mint Debian" with their tree based on Debian Testing branch.

But, my point is that there are no much differences between Ubuntu, Debian (e.g. Testing) and most of their derivatives. Probably some people take care of distro releasy policy, they don't want to wait years for next stable Debian, Debian Testing is rather risky and the reliability and more strict schedule of Ubuntu LTS is enough for them.

Probably some other people want to have their favourite software "out of the box" and don't want to install for e.g. Unity from backports or to switch between init.d and upstart systems manually.

But in common sense, most of these deb distros are very close, aren't they?
    If I'm wrong, tell what are the reasons to use Mint instead of Debian or Ubuntu?
    I don't consider XFce as such reason, because everybody can easily type apt-get install xfce4

In Linux most of the time I use the console (sometimes I use XFce, LXDe, Gnome) and I probably can't see some important differences in vednor GUI apps :)

14. Biker

Saying all Debian distributions (and derivatives) are the same is like comparing Fiat to Alfa Romeo. Yeah, it originated out of the same company, but they're VERY different.

My primary "go to" as far as Linux goes are Slackware based distributions. They might have the same core files, but once it's all said and done, they really aren't the same.

Most users don't want to monkey with the initial installation. They want to hit the ground running and Mint allows you to do just that.

15. Andrey

No, I didn't say "ALL", I said "Most".
    E.g., firewall distribution Vyatta went very far from original Debian because Kernel changed a lot, most of the networing stuff here were reconfigured and rebuilt and they use their own console configuration UI like Ciso IOS.

I don't think that the same appliable to Mint.

Again, some slackware derivatives went far from original Slackware e.g. Zenwalk which uses another package system (netpkg instead of slapt-get) and more fresh kernel.

IMHO it's not quite exact analogy, it's better to say that Volswaken, Audi and Skoda are very close cars, and it is truth.

Because they are not only produced by one company but share the number of the same components and platforms like for e.g. Skoda Yeti and Volkswagen Tiguan.

The difference between this cars is design (wallpaper, GUI assets), options (inital distro settings) and their factories quality control (distro release policy).

16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not even going to touch this. Andrey, I've been doing Unix and Linux when you were still in diapers. Go away.

17. Andrey

Thank you for professional answer, ethics.

For your information: in 1991 (when Linus Torvalds made his famous Usenet post of first Linux release) I was already at school :)

But now I see, you are very cool, experienced and definitely know a lot about Linux and its history.

18. ethics

A lot more than you, sir. So again, go away, but this time, with a little of go fuck yourself. :p

Or, pashol na huy. :)

19. Andrey

Я не доставлю тебе такого удовольствия, мудила :)
    Если хочешь, удали сам мой аккаунт, потому что других способов доказать свою правоту и самоутвердиться у тебя нет.
    И в истории революции, и в линуксах ты, похоже, мало что понимаешь.
    King Regards, Andrey :)

20. ethics

Ище раз, пашол блять на хуй. Понял, гавнюок? Мне не интереситет твой юбнитии мнение.