1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Dump All Other OS's

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If I can get an ancient Samsung laser printer to talk to Linux via the network, you can get your newer printer working. It really isn't that difficult. Have you even fired up CUPS to see if it can detect the printer?

2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

No sir. No clue how to do that or even what it is.

3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I just spent about 20 minutes running it from the Live DVD. I like it. Seemed to catch all my hardware just fine, and I could do things on Mint that I can't do on VL. I'll probably pull the trigger this weekend, or maybe even tomorrow.

The only issue I noticed was surfing was almost at dialup speeds, but I attributed that to running from the DVD in addition to my normal cellular speed issues.

4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

That will improve upon installation. No faster way to surf the web than Linux web browsers.

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Really what Jimeez said. Btw, I have a new Chromebook and even that thing is slow in comparison to Mint.

6. Biker

You're running the XFCE version, right? I'll install and set up the instructions for it.

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yep.

8. Biker

First, you want the debian packages for your printer. You'll want both drivers (cups and lpr). You can get them here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#HL-2170W

The instructions for installing both can also be found on that page.

Once the drivers are installed, click Menu, System, Printers.

Select Add. You'll see the option for network printers. If your printer is talking to the network properly, you should see it listed there.

You may need to assign a static IP to your printer and then use that IP address while setting up the printer on the machine.

ethics and jimeez like this.
  9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Beautiful!! Thank you so much. Worked like a charm and was relatively painless.

10. Biker

Seriously. As long as there's a driver available, setting up printers isn't that difficult any more. Many distros have come a LONG way in making things relatively painless. Especially on newer machines.

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

12. Biker

How are you trying to access it? You'll most likely need to fire up SAMBA for full server access. I'll see what I can rustle up.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

It's my music and photo server. All of our machines and devices access it for storage and use of both file types.

14. Biker

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Good guide. Thank you. However, I get stuck at "Now go to 'Access' tab and select username from which you want to access sharing." There are no usernames from which to choose.

16. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Oh yeah, this doesn't work either: "Now go to Ubuntu, Open File Browser>File Menu > 'Connect to Server'".

When I open my file manager, the "open" button is grayed out.

17. Biker

I'll look into it later today. Have to do the dog shuffle shortly.

18. Biker

Are you sure SAMBA is up and running?

19. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yep. Well, I think. How can I tell?

20. Biker