1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duke Lacrosse case

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cmhbob, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Albeit it's Comedy Central, but Jon Stewart is dead on here with his assessment of the media hype and well deserved grilling of Nancy Grace. :lol:

<embed flashvars="config=http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/xml/data_synd.jhtml?vid=85250%26myspace=false" src="http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/syndicated_player/index.jhtml" quality="high" bgcolor="#006699" name="comedy_player" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="external" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" align="middle" height="325" width="340">

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow, you know, I never watched her but I ask why does this idiot even have a show?

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nancy Grace?

She's like their flagship muckraker over there.

Remember, she's the one that also grilled that mom with the missing kid that eventually killed herself.

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

She was a prosecutor once? Roy Black would bury her.

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

D'ja ever get an answer? :rofl:

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've already told you guys I wouldn't mind going a few rounds with Nancy, but only on the condition that she's got something plugging her mouth so she can't talk. :)

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

Nancy Disgrace is as bad as they come as a legal talking head in the MSM. Here is the good side of her from her days as a prosecutor in Georgia courtesy of Wiki:

Although Grace never lost a felony case at trial[citation needed], a few of her convictions have been overturned on appeal.

The Supreme Court of Georgia has commented on Grace twice, first in a 1994 heroin trafficking case, Bell v. State, in which it was said that she "exceeded the wide latitude of closing argument" by referring to the defendant's prior convictions for violent felonies which were not at issue in the case (Bell v. State, 263 Ga. 776 (1994)).

In 1997, the court was more severe. Although its decision overturning the murder-arson conviction of businessman Wayne Weldon Carr in the death of his wife was caused primarily by other issues, the court made note of Grace's court actions, citing "inappropriate and illegal conduct in the course of the trial."

Her opening statement in the case promised the jury evidence of physical abuse that she had to know would never be admissible because that entire aspect of the case had already been excluded by the judge.

Subpoenas that contained hearing dates Grace knew to be false.

Failure to disclose a full witness list to the defense in a timely fashion.

Showing a chart during closing arguments that falsely stated a defense expert had not contradicted the state's case on a key issue.

Also, during closing argument, "vouching" for the case by telling the jury she herself believed Carr to be guilty.

And finally, performing two illegal searches of Carr's house, including one during which she was accompanied by a CNN camera crew.

While the court said its reversal was not due to these transgressions, since the case had turned primarily on circumstantial evidence, it nevertheless concluded "the conduct of the prosecuting attorney in this case demonstrated her disregard of the notions of due process and fairness, and was inexcusable."[4] Carr was freed in 2004 when a judge ruled Fulton County had waited too long to retry him.

Courts that have upheld convictions on cases Grace was involved with have been critical of her conduct. In a 2005 opinion, a panel of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals said Grace "played fast and loose" with her ethical duties and failed to "fulfill her responsibilities" as a prosecutor in the 1990 triple murder trial of Herbert Connell Stephens. She failed to turn over evidence that pointed to other suspects to his defense.[5] The court noted that it was "difficult to conclude that Grace did not knowingly" elicit false testimony from a police investigator that there were no other suspects despite strong evidence to the contrary.[5][6]

Please note the remarkable similarities between her conduct and mindset when compared to that of the former Durham district attorney, Mike Nifong,the guy who was mostly responsible for this miscarriage of justice against the Duke students and who is currently battling to keep his legal license to practice law.

Come one here. One can know nothing about the law or even the case Nancy Grace is speaking about. They can know nothing about her and be watching her "show" for the first time and anyone with a brain can see within 10 minutes the woman has issues. Serious issues.

SOURCE

9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Grace is the poster child for the Liberal obtusity "The more serious the charge, the more likely the guilt."

-or-

"The more serious the charge, the less important the evidence."

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm wondering if I'm not the only person who sees a similarity of "conviction in beliefs" between Nancy Grace and Gloria Allred? To me they are almost peas in the same pod.

One thing not mentioned, Grace has trauma in her past. IIRC her fiancee or a close relative was murdered. If I'm remembering correctly this trauma has doubtlessly affected her life, her career and her opinions.

I for one am glad that she's away from the legal system, or at least no more than a pundit, because she can't harm any pending legal cases anymore than any other talking head on the TV. Please, just keep her out of the courtroom. We can all turn off CNN anytime we want; each of us has the power to shut her up, albeit only locally.

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

Just watched the Sixty Minutes episode with the up to date real time story on the Duke Lacrosse players. An excellent show! Very informative! A good deal of the show included lots of questions in an interview with the North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper. Talk about a guy who both at the press conference and during the interview who projects professionalism, competence, integrity and credibilityhe is it!

During the press conference even as Cooper said there was insufficient evidence to pursue a criminal case against them, the three Duke lacrosse players waited to hear the one word that would end their nightmare.

Innocent.

"The moment he did it, I ... I completely broke down," Reade Seligmann said. "Everyone was jumping up and down and we knew then that was when we got our lives back."

At the end of the segments all three of the Duke students accused of the crime by Nifong asked if they thought it was all over and behind them now. One gave what I thought was both a profound and realistic answer. Without bitterness, he said it would never be over because rape would always be linked to him even though he was innocent and cleared. He said that when he eventually died someday the news announcement of his death would include a statement with words to the effect that he was one of the three Duke Lacrosse players accused in the rape of a woman. He said that would be with him the rest of his life. The word rape and the accusation of rape.

Hes right.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

The things we Americans do to our fellow citizens... (sigh) This is not the America I learned about in grade school. This is not the land of the free and the home of the brave. This is the land of special interests, of self interests, the land of selling America to our enemies and selling our souls for material gain.

Nifong sold those three lads to further his career, and he didn't give a shit that he was destroying three lives, or trying to. He probably thought the case had merit at first, but he eventually knew how shabby his case was a few days or weeks later, and decided to go ahead with the crucification anyway, just to further his career.

He reminds me of prosecutors who never have any second thoughts. "If I can convince a jury that the defendant is guilty, then the defendant must be guilty. It's not my fault if there's a miscarriage of justice--it's the jury's fault."

13. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Pish. You didn't read To Kill a Mockingbird in grade school? Racially motivated prosecution is a time-dishonored tradition in this country.

14. mikeky

mikeky Member

This doesn't do much to offset what those accused went through, but nice to see the Duke Lacrosse team bouncing back, if only to tweak those who wanted rid of the program.

15. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Wow, Duke's faculty has been SO supportive.

Unfortunately, Duke lost the lacrosse championship game, 12-11. That's not the gist of this story. That a large number of the faculty at Duke would behave in this manner is pretty disgusting, IMO. Bad enough that these students had the media and the public at large against them, but their own professors as well? That some of them actually organized protests and even to this day, with no evidence whatsoever, still speak against the players? Un:friggin:ing real.

16. ravital

ravital Banned

I am still waiting, patiently, but apparently to no avail, for a reason to say something positive about Academia.

17. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

This just goes to show you that real, concrete, factual truth has nothing to do with the Lunatic Liberal Fringe. Or should I say that the LLF has little use for the truth. After all, it's not about the guilt or innocence, it's about the seriousness of the charge.

All of the "Group of 88/87" should be fired, tenure or not, for this. There is nothing more henious than telling students that it's not about the facts, it's about the agenda.

18. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Pieces of shits is all they are, pieces of ugly, smelly shits.

19. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath, Rav.

That about covers it, IMO. Too bad tenure will allow said pieces of shit to remain gainfully employed.

20. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I don't understand how, though. I mean...this is protected speech, or something?

I look forward to the lacrosse players filing defamation and slander suits, and winning big time. The profs have apparently wandered into near-indefensible terrain, and I love it.

SM