1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drug Use Identified by Fingerprint

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Apr 14, 2018.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Very interesting. I hope they put it to use in the Olympics, etc., if they haven't already!

3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

As far as I know the Olympics already use overt drug testing.

It's interesting to note that if novels are to be believed (the authors get their ideas from real life) then it's not uncommon for LE to hand a suspect a glass of water then print it later, and you could probably get saliva off the rim, with possible DNA in the saliva.

As far as the fingerprints, all those drugs you use are present in your sweat and the oils your skin exudes. Yeah, of course if your analytics are sufficient sensitive I see no reason why this couldn't be possible, and perhaps coming to a police station near you.

I still see marijuana as problematic because THC is fat soluble and is absorbed from your blood stream by adipose tissues (fat) and remains for weeks or perhaps even months. Probably every pot user has a constant if low level of THC in their blood stream and in anything that comes out of their body. That's why people who use pot need to get clean for a month or 6 weeks before taking a drug test.

Here is an interesting article that supports my theory except they say shorter half life:

How long does marijuana, weed, pot (THC) stay in your system?

One further comment, in my studies in neurology associated with my psych degree, your nervous system adapts to the presence of things such as THC and is more sensitive to changes in levels than the actual level itself. This is why people who have detectable amounts of THC in their blood may not be stoned. There is also the effect that the nervous system adapts to a constant presence of drugs, sensitivity of receptors is modulated (turned down) and you could compare a novice with X amount of THC who is stoned with an experienced pot user having the same amount of THC who is not stoned.

Just to end on a positive note, they call it "dope" for a good reason. The minute I find somebody in my life uses drugs I declare them toxic and wipe them from my life. I refuse to associate with toxic or negative people.

ETA: I found another article that supports a THC half-life over a month. Keep in mind that a half life means 50% is left, so if you pick a month as the period that means that 25% is left after two months, 12.5% is left after three months. This is why I say that the half life of THC could be quite long, especially in habitual users (losers).

All You Need to Know About The Half Life of Marijuana | Leafbuyer

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I would definitely not place marijuana users in the toxic category. Marijuana usage is pretty much a neutral factor in my opinion of individuals.

Negativity in people rates much more toxic. You know, the kind who would dig up dirt on somebody and then use it with intent to hurt in a public forum. That is much more toxic in my mind. Especially when used against those I consider my friends.

BigDeputyDog and Arc like this.
  5. Susan Addams

Let's agree to disagree. I consider that all recreational drug use is negative behavior and I absolutely refuse to have drug users among my friends, including pot smokers. Yes alcohol is a recreational drug, and I prefer to hang out with people who are social drinkers, people who may have a few glasses of wine with dinner a few times a week. None of my friends are regular drinkers.

As far as negativity, all my friends are highly positive, high energy, friendly and outgoing people. These are the people I choose to hang out with. I won't date men who do not have some kind of regular physical fitness program going for themselves. I work out 3-4 times a week both on treadmill and weights but also yoga and Zumba classes. All my friends are high energy positive people. BTW I recently joined one of the popular dating sites and my first date is Sunday! I'm very excited, my date seems interested in all the same things I'm interested in!

I'm sorry but I just see no reason for healthy people with healthy minds and interests to take recreational drugs. I have an open mind about the use of marijuana as a medical treatment.

6. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Speaking from personal experience I know that not all users start as recreational users. It doesn't matter how you start, for many it ends the same, 6 feet under. If I could go back in time and warn myself about the hell I was about to unleash on me I would, but I can't. All I can do is learn from it and grow a little wiser. At the end of the day, maybe the best that I can be is an example to others.

Sorry for going off topic some. :)

7. Susan Addams

I just think that America's experiment with drug culture has gone off in the wrong direction. We have enough trouble with alcohol. I can't tell other people what to do but I have my limits, and I don't want to be around people who don't share my abhorrence of recreational drugs and drug users. It's out of my life unless me or a loved one is struck by an auto driven by a DUI driver. And both drugs and alcohol are just as bad when it comes to DUI, even misused prescription drugs.

I think it's just crazy how many states have legalized recreational drugs. Drug users are toxic people and I don't want them in my life.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Keep on going, Frodo!

Susan Addams likes this.