1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dr's in W. VA begin 30 day strike today.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Misu, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030101/D7O9KJ700.html

They are protesting increasing malpractice insurance costs.

My opinion - I think they're breaking their Hippocratic oath to heal the sick. I understand that money makes the world go round, and I applaud them for standing up to insurance companies - but I don't agree with how they're going about it. Not treating patients who need them is just as bad as accidentally injuring someone.

I do agree that award caps need to be put in place - the fact that any jerk can walk into a dr's office and sue because the doctor made a mean face to him is insane. Dr's are human and make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes cause death, as was the case with my grandmother. But I don't agree with insurance companies increasing rates on Dr's who've never had a malpractice suit against them, and even if they have, read the numbers: The average premium these Dr's are paying in that area is over $130,000 a year! That's insane! I think that Dr's should strike my cancelling their malpractice insurance and having patients sign waivers. But refusing to treat patients at all... I don't know if Dr's are going to win any sympathy for this...

Your thoughts?

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Misu, this is related to the entire health cost mess in this country, and can't really be separated out.

The insurers are simply taking in X amount of dollars, taking their profit to give to the stockholders (that mutual fund your IRA is invested in), and paying the rest for claims and expenses. If they could make the same profit charging $2,500 a year, they would.

The doctors are charging more because the cost of their education has increased, the supplies, their real estate, paying their nursing staff more, financing horribly high priced medical equiptment, malpratice, health care for thier own staff, blah, blah, blah....

The manufacturers of the equiptment get a pretty penny for those CAT scanners and stuff. Some of the software programs used to run these machines or dispay them on the office network run 5 figures or more.

The lawyers are spewing out of the law schools at an ever increasing rate. They have expenses of their own plus giving the poor access to legal remedies means most of the money comes on the backend - after the case has been won - so judgments have to be higher.

The bottom line is this: Where in the chain do you impose price caps or resrict trade? Each one of these industries employs hundreds of thousands that would be affected.

3. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,

At some point tort law was intended differently. Since unfair people with grudges against doctors and insurers started handing out unfathomable sums to those with damages, and unethical, greedy, and foolish practictioners of the business of law(none dare call them lawyers - Lord MacMillan would be disgraced) found a gold mine in raping people's sympathies, the curial system has become unmanageable.

Start by disbarring everyone who files a frivolous claim, and everyone who interposes a fictitious defence, and within a year, the situation will right itself.

One scots judge in a civil court in Los Angeles County would censure more lawyers in a day than have been censured there in the last twenty years.

Lawyers are supposed to elevate the consciousness and conscience of our land, not debase and defile our courts.

Yazdzik

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Martin, one can not stop there. The entire system from the top down must be overhauled if we're to see any type of relief anywhere. The outrageous claims and judgements for everything from the infamous McDonald's coffee case to the tobacco companies has to stop. The juries are just as much to blame as those who brought the cases to begin with.

5. Biker

--Whups--

6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Since we've got our rose colored glasses on, perhaps we could start with doing away with the lobbies for the lawyers, insurers, drug companies, AMA, etc., then the laws could be changed for the benefit of the individual and small businessman instead of the large corporations.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Well, I understand that this topic is like opening a can of worms, but my main problem isn't really with the money that Dr's say this is costing them or the price of equipment or the insane amounts juries have awarded victims in the past - this is about a strike, a 30 day strike, that is going to paralyze W. Virginia hospitals, based on insurance premiums.

This is really more of an ethical debate - is it ethical for Doctors, who swore to heal those who need them, to go on strike because insurance companies are raping them financially? Personally, I don't think so. I don't think it's ethical for doctors to refuse to see or treat patients, and jeapordize people's lives because they're disgruntled about how much their insurance premiums are. I liken this act to a hospital refusing to treat a patient in need of emergency treatment because that patient didn't have health insurance.

Am I placing doctors on a higher level, ethically? Yes. I know they're human, but they're doctors. They're the closest a human being can get to being a god. And I think because of this, we should expect A LOT more from them.

8. Biker

So what do they do Misu? They fight, complain, and try just about every means available to them to bring about a change, and the insurance companies just thumb their noses at them. Maybe if one of them gets refused treatment, maybe, just maybe they'll wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm not I sure I agree with the strike either, but I won't condemn them for it. Not in this case.

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I have to wonder, though...why are people winning these insanely high awards? I understand that it takes a lawyer to file one of these riciculous claims, but doesn't it also take a judge to award the high sums of money?

I agree that lawyers should be punished for taking part in frivolous lawsuits, but who will stop the judges who hear these cases and award millions of dollars?

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The Hippocratic oath goes out the window when a doctor is slapped with malpractice, Misu. I don't see anyone complaining about a doctor who has been suspended for months because of many lawsuits.