1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Draft or Mandatory Military Service?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Domh, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

Is it time to reinstitute the Draft here in America?

Would you support legislation requiring 2 years of mandatory military service after high school for every citizen?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think that as long as a volunteer service can protect us it is better for the country. If we cannot sustain an armed force large enough to fulfill the country's needs I would definitely be in favor of a draft for the military.

I would like, however, to see some form of universal servitude to the government. If the military is not appropriate for you then service in public hospitals or other public service could be subsituted. It has been my impression that a larger percentage of ex serviceman take part in government and pay attention to public issues. I don't think this is due to the military as much as having served your community. I think our country and young people would benefit from this.

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Actually, the state of florida now requires a certain amount of community service hours for high school students. They need to complete - I believe it was 250 or 350 - hours of community service by the time they graduate, or else they don't graduate.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

Yeah, Misu but last time I checked that State of Florida requirement has no one to actually check and see that it was done or just somebodies friend writing a note for them.

5. mikeky

mikeky Member

How would these live during this period? Government stipend? Government housing? What about those that don't want to be there and so don't do the job? In the military, of course it can lead to discharge and imprisonment, but would the same apply to the volunteer hospital orderly that did a poor job of mopping floors? Also, how would you assign jobs? Would very bright graduates be stuck with picking up trash, or as apprentices in labs? What would determine what job they got? So many things that could go wrong and be abused.

I just can't buy the concept of forced servitude or community service, except for war time draft, when the security of the country and so way of life could be stake. We, as citizens, pay taxes for government services, and many willingly donate money and time to community causes. Forced servitude seems to go against all we've ever fought for. I would say this even applies to community service forced onto high school students: what possible educational benefit could this provide?

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Well as to what it provides, it provides a knowledge of these organizations and the work they do for our society. It shows them somewhat the dirty work that a lot of people are not aware of that happens out there. I feel it prepares them to see more of what the world was like, instead of the somewhat protected aspect of what high school use to be. It also requires them to do something for others, which is not a lesson that many High School students get from other places today.

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I don't think the draft is needed at this time, but in the future, it may be a totally different story.

War. Get used to it.

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

What if somebody is gay? Are they forced to be there or are they forced out the way they are now? ;)

I agree that there would be ample opportunities for people to abuse it. As long as there is no shortage of volunteers, I don't see a need for mandatory service. It probably wouldn't hurt to expose people to some discipline though. There are a lot of youths running around who don't answer even to their own parents. That's a whole separate issue though...

9. mikeky

mikeky Member

Jim, I see your point, but it still feels wrong to me. RRedline, to your point, seems it would be difficult to work around the beliefs of some organizations vs the beliefs of the forced volunteers (e.g., a gay person forced to work in a Catholic run hospital).