1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubt Cast on bin Laden Tape

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 3, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A Swiss institute that used state-of-the-art voice-recognition technology and computerized statistical models to analyze 90 minutes of available audiotape of bin Laden's voice believes the new tape may be a fake.

"The best we can say is it's full of doubt," said Herve Bourlard, director of the Dalle Molle Institute for Perceptual Artificial Intelligence.

Full story

2. jamming

jamming Banned

I have heard other say this also, from some very informed sources. However, one agency says one thing and another different, the choice of belief goes to the agency with better political connections, not better equipment.

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

If he is alive why doesn't he antagonise the west with the evidence that he is indeed still breathing? It would certainly serve his cause well if all interested with his existence knew of it, but he has failed to confirm it. al Qaeda has more to gain from him being alive, and confirming that to those who are against him than for a guessing game such as this.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

I still hold that he is either dead or has been severly injured, if injured in certain portions of the anatomy his speech maybe slightly changed.

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes. Until there is some evidence to the contrary, I too think has gone to that great terrorist camp in the sky.

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

Or in the opposite direction.

Seems if he were really alive, a video tape would be much more effective than an audio. That seems to lend evidence that he is either dead or was injured to the extent he doesn't want others to see him.

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I still think Osama is worm food and has been for a while. His kidneys were quickly failing, and a dialysis machine is very difficult to operate from deep within a cave.

Question is, if in time the audio tape proves to be a fake, who the hell would commit to such a devious endeavor, and to what end?

8. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

I think that the reason it was not a video, but rather an audio, may have more to do with him not wanting anyone to know exactly how he looks now. I think he looks distinctly different from the images we have of him before...

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Dead or alive, bin Laden the man is largely irrelevant. What he has built and forged and twisted is what we are contending with. In many ways, I think the administration is just as interested in keeping his mortal status a mystery as his followers are. If his head were to be put on a pike, or his last resting place uncovered, there would be considerable pressure to back off on the pursuit of his organization(s).

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think they will keep performing acts that will keep the interest in their elimination alive. They just did some more and are threatening a biggie in the next day or two.

11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I think that's exactly right. In the days following 9/11 when we were directly in combat with al Qaeda, I posed the question to a few people around me that if you were a soldier and you had bin Laden in your sights, and you dropped him, what do you do?

Nothing. If you say you got him, then some would say the threat is gone, when it certainly was not. You don't pack up and go home when you take out the leader, because the organization (and threat) still exists. But some would be so shortsighted as to demand that the US do exactly that.

The proper thing to do on the political front would be to say you didn't know.

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes. Keep the myth alive atleast and that will spur the fight on.

13. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

In the big picture or the in long run the importance of Osam bin Laden is greatly exaggerated as is the importance of whether or not he is dead or alive.