1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double standard for treating Greek and Turkish Cypriots

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

The Eu has invited Cyprus to join in by 2004, but only if the Greek and Turkish portions unite. That's laudable, but, if it doesn't happen by Feb 28, 2002, only the Greek portion will get in.

I hate to harp on the theme of European racism, but isn't that a bit unfair? Especially since Turkey seems to be discriminated against.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...021226/wturkish1226/Front/homeBN/breakingnews

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Greeks are Catholics, Turks are Muslims. EU is not racist though, they have good reasons for keeping out the Muslims. [sarcoff]

3. Leopoldo Niilus

Leopoldo Niilus Registered User

4. Leopoldo Niilus

Leopoldo Niilus Registered User

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I don't think this is the issue you're trying to make it. The North is only recognized as a state by Turkey and has the status of a breakaway state by the rest of the world.

The EU is saying reunite the island (which most of the people north and south want) or only the part that is not in rebellion and occupied by another country will be admitted.

6. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

In an unrelated article about UN resolutions regarding terror attacks, I read the following:
    It was from yesterday's Globe and Mail.

7. John

John Registered User

Greece is actually Orthodox Christian, and It's not about religion, more about capitalism.

Here is a link to a site which contains the latest proposal for a new Cyprus, (one that can enter the EU) in pdf format. http://www.kypros.org

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks Kennedy, and welcome to the forum. :)

9. John

John Registered User

Thanks!

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Welcome Kennedy, and welcome to Europe.