1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom 3 released early!

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Frodo Lives, Aug 2, 2004.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Congrats Frodo and enjoy!

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Ack, now you jinxed it. It will probably by several days late and it will be a faulty copy that destroyers my computer and calls me names. Men in black coats will come by and poke me with sticks while giant dogs pee on my leg. It's all your fault, tke711. :vmad:

:lol:

Hopefully it will be in and it will work right. :happy:

3. tke711

LOL!

Well, if your friend ordered two copies, I'm sure they are legit copies and will work just fine.

Otherwise, depending on where one gets a "trial version", that is always a risk. However, there are a few places that are known for always providing good "trial versions". ;)

4. Frodo Lives

No, they are legit copies. But I have gotten from time to time a game with a faulty disk or corrupted data. Buggers. ;)

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My Doom 3 would not work on my computer at highest resolution. I just built this sucker in February. Anyway, I updated my video drivers and now works at highest resolution. Still working my way around. Oh, and got it at Walmart for 49.

6. Frodo Lives

I hope you like it. From what I have learned there are 2 groups of people. Those that really love it and those that really don't. I can tell I will be in the first group. :)

7. tke711

You will love it Frodo! :)

Ok...now that I've played the game for 6+ hours, it's time for my unofficial and gamer geek review of Doom III. :)

Graphics on this game are simply amazing. The detail in the scenery, weapons, the enemy, etc is just amazing. Even on my P4-1.5 system with an old TI-4200, 128MB video card with the graphics setting on "medium", the game is still amazing.

Gameplay is typical Doom. The levels, while larger on this installment, but are still very linear and not hard to figure out. It's not like some of the other FPS out there that you constantly have to go back and figure stuff out. Basically, as long as you pick up the necessary items on your way, you just keep moving.

However, that doesn't make the game easy by any means. I'm playing it right now on the "Marine" setting which is the second easiest setting (the hardest setting is locked out until you have won the game on an easier setting). Monsters are around every corner and often come out from the wall right behind you. Plus, the scenery tends to be very dark and often requires you to take out your flashlight to see where you are going. Of course, this leaves you vulnerable because it takes a second or two to switch back to your weapon. Often times, the only way to find your enemy ahead of time, is by the sound of them walking or by their little red eyes glowing in the blackness.

In addition to monsters being everywhere, health is not nearly as easy to come by in the installment of Doom. So, you will be need to be careful and defensive instead of supper aggressive. There are literally times that a monster popping out of the scenery as made me jump. I love it!!

My only complaint (and I haven't tried the multiplayer online yet) is just how damn big this game is. Since I'm running a PC on the minimum end of their requirements, loading levels is very, very slow. The last level I loaded took almost 3 full minutes to load up. Of course, that felt like an eternity when you are just sitting there staring at the status bar.

If you like FPS games where you just walk around and blow stuff away, in an awesome graphic presentation, you are going to love this game. It's hard and challenging, but not impossible.

Oh...by the way...all the old cheat commands still work from previous versions of Doom if you need them. The only difference is that it now requires you to hit the alt-control-~ key to get the console to open.

I've now reached the Delta Labs so the end is probably not too far off. I'll update this review when I've finished the game.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And that's the killer for me. I despise, I mean simply despise how the Doom series played. I can't put a finger on it but I am a typical UT type of a player and Doom just never "felt" right.

9. tke711

That's funny because I've never liked how UT played and have always preferred the gameplay of the Doom series. :)

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yep, there's definitely a chasm between the two play styles.

You did do a great job on the review though, and I thank you for it.

11. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Yeah my Doom3 just got here!!! Finally :)

12. tke711

Very cool!!!!!!!

It's been nice seeing you Danna! ;)

13. Violet1966

Ok from the time I posted till now, I just managed to get the game installed and running. I installed it like 6 times and it wasn't installing. I called customer service and they instructed me to install it manually. Did that and go to run the game...get a message telling me cd/dvd emulation software is running and shut it off then start game again. I had no emulation software running...I thought. Turns out....my alcohol 120 settings and my clonecd were being detected and that's the new supposedly rip proof technology this game has. Well...from what I hear...IDsoftware needs to do a reality check.

14. tke711

Whoa...that sucks Danna.

Interesting though because I also have CloneCD installed and I didn't have any problems installing or any warnings. :huh:

But, I'm glad you finally got it running. Enjoy!

15. Violet1966

When I last posted, hubby was walking through the door early. I think I'm never gonna get to play this game :( LOL I'm gonna try to reinstall clonecd and see if it works with it installed. The guy made me set alc 120 settings different, then told me to uninstall clonecd and I just did it without trying to see if the game worked with alc120 set different alone.

Hubby actually had to go back out...so I'm goin in ;) LOL

16. Violet1966

Oh Man!!!!! I went into a multi player and thought it looked cool. Got killed a few times just trying to look around. Then went and started a single player game and am floored!!!! Sweeeeeeeet!!!!! I haven't touched anything and my system is doing great. No chop....no sound lag like I thought I might get....onboard sound needs to be upgraded but the game doesn't seem to be affected by it at all. Freaking unbelievable graphics. I just got to the part where the heads are flying around and the possessed guys start to try and kill you. I'm really impressed so far. Can't wait to get more into this single player....it's getting interesting. Way cool and soo far...I love what I see :) :thumbsup:

17. Frodo Lives

18. tke711

I'm glad you like it Danna! Don't worry...it gets better and better. :)

19. Violet1966

That guide tells about the problems I encountered...with the cd emulator software. Wish I'd have seen this earlier ;)

Yeah Gregg....it's kicks ass...can't wait to see more :thumbsup:

20. Frodo Lives

I just stepped in with my own copy so here I go off to install. :happy: :happy: