1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom 3 released early!

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Frodo Lives, Aug 2, 2004.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Ya, I'm downloading my "trial" copy as we speak. :)

However, I will buy the game when it is released here in Milwaukee, but I just can't wait!

2. tke711

Whoohoo!!!!! Best Buy had it out this morning so I picked it up!!!!!

Now, I can't wait to get home and give it a try. Come on clock, keep moving so I can get home! :)

3. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

You suck ;) LOL

4. tke711

That's pretty much what the wife said when I called and told her, but for some reason I don't think she meant it the same way. ;)

In fact, she said it was nice seeing me lately and that she looks forward to seeing me in a month. ;)

5. Violet1966

LMFAO!!! OH yeah you're a gamer ;)

Hey new catalyst drivers out for anyone with an ati card. beta but geared just for doom 3 play...beta 4.9. http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html

6. tke711

While I don't use an ATI card, thanks for the reminder as I'm sure I should update the driver on my nVidia Ti-4200 card.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Ok, so hubby played the game last night - personally, single player mode is zzzzzzzz. I really don't like playing a game in single player mode unless it's a sim. But that's just my personal preference.

Now, the multiplayer mode = awesome. Only 4 players per server for now, which is a reminder of our doom 2 days. But the game is amazing. The game play is outstanding. The hubby's computer is slightly better than mine (with a much better video card), and it ran a little choppy, but once you lowered all the effects, it was playable. And even with every setting set to low quality, it was beautiful to look at. I was mesmerized by the shading and the colors. It's amazing. I am looking forward to playing it, and if it passes the Misu test, then I'm buying it this weekend.

8. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

:cry:

I guess I will have to spend several days to get a 'trial' version. ;)

9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Going on 24 hours straight on my 'trial version' download at about 50kBytes/sec. Damn slow servers.

Me with dual XP 1700s, GF4 4600 128MB, 512MB. Should play OK.

I love single player games. HATE multiplayer games on-line, except air combat sims. I'm in it for the story. MP is just the same ole, same ole with differnt weapons and environments.

10. Violet1966

Is id software smoking crack that they put this one out without a unique cd key??? It always amazes me. I thought the reason they were taking so long, had to be so it wasn't "rippable"...but I guess I was wrong ;)

11. tke711

All I gotta say is this game kicks some serious ass!!!!!

I only got to play for 20 minutes tonight, but I'm completely impressed. When they say minimum requirements, they ain't kidding. Even will "normal" settings, it's really pushing this P4-1.5 machine even with 1 gig RAM and a 128MB Ti-4200 video card. I tried the two higher video settings and the game was very slow and choppy.

However, even at my resolutions, it's amazing and the play is fun!!

:happy: :happy:

12. Violet1966

I really can't wait!!! Today was the day it was supposed to ship from best buy. I looked to see if there's a tracking number yet...but none. Says it's being processed. I"m wondering if it would have just been better to go to the best buy and pick it up. Don't be a stranger now...remember we're here. If you dissapear...we'll send a team into Doom 3 world to look for you ;)

13. tke711

Don't worry....I'll still be around during the work day. ;)

I really want to update my computer now, but I can't justify spending $1500+ to significantly upgrade my machine to play one game. Ok...I can justify it, but there is no way I'll convince my wife. I'm a good salesman, but not that good! ;)

14. tke711

Actually, to prove just how much of a gamer I am, I'm taking tomorrow off and will be playing Doom III all day!!!! :happy: :happy:

I was planing on a metal health day anyway for tomorrow, but instead of doing yard work, I will be playing Doom. ;)

15. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Listen, all you have to do is get an emachine and then add a ton more RAM to it and put a better video card. Viola - instagame machine, just add RAM and vid card, and you get a nice rig for like 800 bucks.

16. tke711

Good suggestion Misu.

I was actually looking at some of the Falcon machines. :drool:

However, since my machine does everything else I want, even I think it would be a bit silly to spend that much money to be able to play 1 game a little better. It runs on my current machine and I don't feel like taking Doom from a $50 game to a $850 game. :)

17. Violet1966

Still no doom 3. I'm never pre ordering from best buy again. They shipped it yesterday and it's coming soon. Whoop de doo....I should have just drove to Portsmouth and picked it up in the store. But I was afraid it would be sold out or something. I can get a copy of it by other means if I wanted to, easy enough....but want the one I paid for already. I can't take it anymore!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :augh:

18. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Don't cry, Danna. I haven't got the game yet either. I may try to get a 'trial' version but I might just wait until Monday and hopefully I will get a copy. :)

I am so drooling for it. :drool:

19. tke711

Sorry Danna!

I've gotta say, after spending 4+ hours playing the game, that it still kicks ass and it will be worth the wait!

The graphics are amazing, the game play is amazing, and it's hard as hell.

20. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

On Friday I walked into a local computer store run by someone I know. They don't sell computer games (only PS2 and Xbox) but I figured what they hell, it doesn't hurt to look. I didn't so much as walk in the door when he said, "Dan, you interested in a copy of Doom 3?"

"HELL YESSSS!!! Wooohooo!!!" I said politely. :)

He said he ordered 2 copies, 1 for himself and 1 extra and I could have it. He said it will be here on Monday so I paid for it, so hopefully I will get mine then.