1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom 3 released early!

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Frodo Lives, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Doom 3 has hit the shelves of different stores here in the US. Best Buy being one of the major stores to have be selling them already. The full version is also being DL from many warez sites around the net even though I don't trust any sites enough to want to look for it myself. To bad we don't have any stores up here that sell PC games or I would go looking for it today. The closest store I have is Walmart and that is still 40 minutes away. Doh!

Anyway, hopefully someone can go find a store with copies today instead of later this week like the rest.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Go to EBWORLD.COM and order from there, man.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Wow!!!! My office is next door to Best Buy and they open in 10 minutes. I'll have to go check it out.

Also, in this weeks flier, Circuit City is selling the game for $44.95 instead of $54 like Best Buy.

4. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I detest ordering stuff online. I think I can wait for a few more days to find it somewhere....maybe. :haha:

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Its not going to be readily available for a few. Isnt there an EBgames in Burlington now?

6. tke711

I just checked the Best Buy next door and they don't have it yet. According to the manager, they won't have it until Friday and he wasn't aware of this early release.

Oh well....I guess I can wait until Friday. :)

7. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Yes. There is one and a Gamestop in the University Mall. I visit both stores several times a year when I have the cash saved up. That is probably where I will eventually get it because I doubt Walmart will be carrying the game.

8. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I'm waiting for our pre order from best buy. We got a freebie for getting it on their site too. A pewter figurine of mancubis or whatever it's name is...and a 3 d poster. That came already with a Doom 3 box that said pre order. Can't wait to get this game already.

9. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

10. parundrum

parundrum Lurker Extraordinaire

Looking forward to reviews from you guys and gals that start playing this thing. I'll be out of town for 2 weeks so I can't get it until I return.

11. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Oh, good call. But ID never had a release date, just what the stores where putting in so people would spend money on a pre-order. Still, I can't wait to play this game. The first two Doom games took up a lot of my life when they came out. The double barreled shotgun was the best thing since sliced bread.

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Me too, paru, not that I will be out of town, I am still uncertain how good this is and whether it's worth the bucks.

13. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I've got a $17 credit from EBGames I could put towards it. I just don't think any of my systems are are robust enough to make it worthwhile, and I'm not buying a computer just for a game.

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Just give me the good news: will I be able to run it (and it be playable) on my AMD 1.2 athlon with 384 megs of ram and a geforce 5200 fx 128 ddr ram video card?

Just tell me yes. Please. I have been waiting for this game f o r e v e r !!!

15. Violet1966

I'm sure if you set the settings right Misu, you'll be able to play it well. I'm nervous if we're gonna be ok and we're on a amd athlon xp 3000+ with a gig of ram and a radeon 9800 pro with 256 bit memory, but if you turn some settings down and adjust and tweak config files or whatever, with most games, they will play well on not the top of the line systems. Look for tweaks once the game comes out and tweak away if you can :)

Our best buy delivery is supposed to be Aug 5th. I can't wait, but I'm sure I'm not gonna get to play it much. Hubby will hog it on me when he gets home from work, after the kids are asleep, which is pretty much when I would have the time to game. Oh well ;)

16. tke711

Here are the minimum requirements Misu:

1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500, 384 megabytes of memory, two gigabytes of hard drive space, an nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

17. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Must be a 64meg graphics card. Misu, I think your 1.2 T-bird would be quick enough. The AMD listed is a 1500+, which is what they started calling the 1.2.

I just stopped by the local Best Buy and they had a display set up with about 150 boxes. About 50% were still available. :)

18. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I will give you all my GA points if you get me a copy. rofl

19. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I went to Best Buy yesterday AND today - they don't have it :( They're releasing it the 5th. Something about having to pay a huge fine if they release it before the date they agreed to with the vendor. Maybe this is only in certain markets?

No matter - I already got myself a "copy" of the game. For testing purposes, of course :) My friend installed it on his computer - he has a 64 meg vid card and his computer is about the same as mine, and it was AWESOME. :drool: Anyone with a rig better than mine is going to just have that much better of an experience. So Danna, you're game is going to be a visual orgasm ;)

20. Violet1966

Wow!!! Oh Misu I can't wait now!!! :drool: