1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't we have to vote for last weeks post of the week?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Techie2000, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

2. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Continuity?

What a nice idea!

I was thinking the same thing Techie...

Nominations anyone????

If threads can be nominated I would submit Redlines Music and Memories thread.
    Of course almost all the posts in that thread are worthy for post honors...

Anyone else?

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well, I WAS thinking about it but there's two problems.

1. I can't be giving out prizes for them every week. I am well off but not that well off. ;)

2. I didn't see anyone nominate anyone's posts.

I'd like to give out prizes for Posts of the Month, and the Post of the Week's nominations would be the 4 winners of the PoW?

Is that a good idea? If not give me suggestions! ;)

4. jamming

jamming Banned

How about Post of the Month and then just post of the quarter. It is still enough to consider through the month and then the top 3 would be considered for post of the quarter, and then those four would be post of the year. That way you would need 12 little prizes, then four medium prize, then one big prize. Cost equivalent would be equal to 3 of the big prizes, 1/4 for the quarter and 1/12 for the little ones. So at 20$ for a little prize it would work out to 20$ x 12 x 3 =$720 a year. Adjust value of little prize up or down to change your full yearly commitment. Weekly is just too often. Then have a page that refers you to each post, with its original thread for the each year at the end of the year preserve those threads for posterity.

5. ethics

Damn Jim, are you an accountant by any chance? ;)

Good suggestion. I don't have a problem with it, and it would work. Any other suggestions?

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I would like to nominate Ken's long post in the Jane Fonda thread.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Thread split and moved from <a href="http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3713">this thread</a>.

Cough, Cough. Oh, you are serious. I don't think any post that so ignores every argument presented as his does with regards to Iraq should be nominated. If we are making awards for those living in fairy tales I would agree.

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

If you wish to put it in that perspective as to how it relates to the context of a particular thread, then I can see how you might object.

However I respectfully disagree.
    The mark of a good post is that it can stand on it's own.
    Sometimes in the heat of a moment we lose an overall perspective concentrating on short term responses that reflect our personal opinions and background.

I thought twice before I nominated that post.
    Once because any political post automatically elevates a particular side to relative importance and alienates the opposite side. Hence, personal bias has an impact on a vote.

Second, because Ken is like the Voice Crying in the Wilderness.
    His viewpoint seems quite lonely with most of the members here holding the opposite view. We need a dissenting voice in this forum. So often we associate a person with a particular label and hence pre-judge all future ideas if they don't align with ours.
    We do a great injustice to ourselves if we cannot listen and consequently shutout all forms of dissent.

I wish to do him honor by nominating the post. With 95% of the people against his political viewpoint, I am sure he would not win.
    However, it is not winning that is important here.

Opening the mind is what is important.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Thank you Bruzzes, I probably would
    not have been able to say the same
    thing without coming off as offensive.

Shiny,

While I represent the opposite view
    from yours, I see no reason for you
    to sweepingly decide, you are right.

"...so ignores every argument presented..."

Oh, I understand, because people
    post opposing views to my own in
    this forum, I should change my
    views to come alongside with
    everyone else's views.

Popular wisdom is just that, popular
    with very little wisdom thrown in.

If you're looking for group-think, it
    isn't hard to find. If you looking for
    someone to challenge your convictions,
    you've found him. This isnt an agreement
    to disagree, this is your assumption that
    because you present an argument which
    make sense to you, I should jump right on
    the bandwagon.

To declare you are right and I live in
    a fantasy world and therefore don't
    deserve the same freedoms as you
    is beneath you. I would ask for an
    apology but that is something you
    would need to offer based on the
    understanding, you are no better
    than me and I have every right to
    hold my opinions as I see them.

Sorry if my views offend you,
    perhaps a forum where everybody
    thinks exactly the same as you
    would be more towards your liking.
    Perhaps, www.automaton.org would
    be more to your liking.

Cheerfully but with substantially
    diminished respect,

-Ken

PS - If you would like to get something
    off your chest, PLEASE feel free to
    take this down to the UiF forum.

10. jamming

jamming Banned

At least you didn't accuse me of being a lawyer or a politician, but your getting darn close. No, I am a problem solver by nature, you had an interesting problem so I tried to figure out something fair and interesting that wouldn't be to expensive for a reformed Marxist-Leninist (now Capitalist).

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

Too funny.

Hey Ken, didnt you nominate my post right BEFORE your long post in that same thread?

LOL

;)

12. jamming

jamming Banned

Ken, in every statement made here, there is an element of truth in it, whether it is yours, mine, or haywires. Even if that truth is only truthful opinion being presented. Soemtimes I feel what I think Shiney is feeling about your posts.

It is like the viewing the Great Wall of China and being told that you are responsible for removing every stone from it by hand. You look at the Great Wall and there is a beauty in the Wall itself and the terrain it occupies. But then you realize just how many stones is in it that you will have to remove by hand to just make a dent in the construction. It is a daunting task.

Your opinions are as firm and so complex as to be the Great Wall of Liberalism and every time the person so assigned falls asleep feeling they just made some progress they come to see another length of the wall beyond. I can handle that frustration, but what sometimes seems to much is we look behind us and see you rebuilding the part of the Great Wall we all ready tore down and that's just plain mean. :cry: :beer: ;)

13. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Sorry Jim,

It was never my intention to be mean.
    By the way, wasn't the great wall constructed
    by hand originally?

Domhain,

I nominated both your post and Bruzzes
    post before I knew I was nominated.
    I sure the logs can back that up,
    should anyone need evidence.

To all, I am constructing a post to
    address the division of late. Maybe
    I'll learn something.

-Ken

14. jamming

jamming Banned

Yes it was, but I was trying to be Ironic and Funny, oh Great Wall One.
    Oh well it was early.

15. ShinyTop

Ken, I am so sorry I lost your respect. Your post was nice but I cannot take it as a stand alone post. You are the same poster who referred to the blood lust that you said some of us had. You are the same poster who asks for proof and ignores it. Not asking you to change your opinion but you dismiss every arguement out of hand.

Bruzzes, you may of course nominate anybody you want. Nominating somebody for a political post is always going to be tricky. And I do see that you had to declare it stand alone. Sorry, my memory is longer than that. I have to consider it with his other posts and consider how many faces he can wear. That is the trouble with standing against 75% of the others, you words are easier to remember.

I have always said Ken had high ideals. I found out that those ideals justify in his mind any accusation and any attack he cares to make. No, I will not be voting for that post.

16. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Shiny,

At the risk of getting personal, I never
    attacked anyone who didn't blatantly
    request it repeatedly.

If you wish to disregard my posts, I won't
    lose any sleep over it. You accused me of
    attacking veterans for fighting a war but I
    never did. I did attack the assholes who
    never fight, somehow make money on
    every war and can't wait to start
    another one.

High ideals, what a thing to be bashed for.

Oh and Shiny, anytime you wish to discuss
    how Haywire used to interact with the group
    and point to your outrage at his behavior,
    I'd love to hear it.

17. ShinyTop

Haywire has been addressed by me in other forums and I have been on post delay due to it. But he was not nominated for post of the month, week, whatever.

Ken, you did accuse me of blood lust. You have gone round the bend and then denied it or excused it as an indication of your passion. See, that is where the liberal left scares me. They adopt the highest sounding positions, world peace, feed everybody, don't hurt any animals under any conditions, pro-life, ad nauseum, then proceed to attempt implementation of these views with heinous acts or lies and accusations that are not accepted in polite company. And then justify these acts and words with "Gee, isn't my cause worth any act I do to reach my goal?" Well I don't buy it in general and I have seen this specifically in your posts. I have posted I admired your steadfast dedication to your goals. That ended when you accused me of wanting blood. As I posted then, there are some accusations, some words you cannot justify for any cause. You crossed the line. I will not consider your subsequent posts separate from that. You receive what you earn.

You might want to start reading before you post. Words are hard to retract.

18. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I'm sure you meant pro-choice, right? :)

By the way, I have to agree with your summary of how the extreme left behaves. The extreme right is no better, by the way.

19. ethics

Gentlemen and ladies,

If you are nominating a post, please post a link to the thread IN the appropriate forum's section. :)

20. ShinyTop

Oh, I agree about the extreme right. Only their justification is usually religion. But the behavior is still anything goes because my cause is just.