1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't retire early or never

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

If I had 200 dollars for every time I heard that someone retired and their health went to shit and died....

People still don't get it. You are born and evolved to produce, to matter. No matter how small you need to be valuable to someone or something every single day. Our jobs, no matter how much they may suck take care of that every day.

When does it stop? When we choose to.

This small tidbit in today's wsj reminded me of that small but supremely important fact.

You may not run out of things to do. Errands and other mundane activities have a way of filling the void. However, research suggests that in two years, most people begin to run out of activities that give them meaning, a sense of purpose, continuous engagement and support their overall well-being.

Why Early Retirement Often Backfires - The Experts - WSJ

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Jeepers! There must be something dreadfully wrong with me because it is nearly 9 years since I retired from my freelance job and 15 years this month since I retired from my regular 9-5 job, and I'm still alive--and not even on any medication so far. Knock on wood! I think people are different.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

"Retiring" for me means leaving the Fed and working on other things, like writing, flying, and filmmaking. I'll still be working, just for myself, without any direct Overlords to command my every move.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, that's what's great about it! Not having to deal with the toxic office politics and being able to do something you love. I don't get paid any longer, but I love genealogy, and have people from all over the world to interact with and help. If you have a passion for something, it's not really work.

5. Sierra Mike

That's one thing I'll never miss about working for other people, the toxicity. I'm like, "You think acting like a rabid cocksucker is somehow a good thing?" It's pretty funny how now I stand up to people like it's nobody's business, and they always back down. No one even calls HR, which means gutless wimps are gutless wimps even when they're listed as "Senior Vice President" on the org chart.

ethics likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

It took me nine years to get over the last 9-5 job I had. I used to celebrate my liberation on each anniversary of the day I walked out of that place. Then the day after the 9th anniversary, I realized I had forgotten to celebrate it. I seldom think of that place any longer, but it left a mark on me. I'm no way near as nice as I was years ago, so I can understand where you are coming from re standing up to other people. We have to do that sometimes, or they'll destroy us. After working for 41 years, it's absolutely wonderful to be retired.

7. Sierra Mike

There are some people around here who just stomp around like tyrants. A few years ago, I opened an HR case against one of them because he was being way too combative in a meeting, and he chose to try and step on my air hose. That straightened him out for a while, but last year I was in the same predicament. I looked around the table, saw no one was having a great time, then turned to the guy and said, "Isaac? Remember what happened last time you pulled this crap? You were practically on your knees telling me how sorry you were about your attitude, but you're doing it again. Look around--does it look like anyone here gives a shit about your problem?"

That worked, and I got applause.

The SrVP STILL didn't go to HR, even though he'd been shot down in flames.

So when ethics says don't retire early, I'm like, "But I have to--I can't seem to get fired."

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

I retired, and even though I'm never bored, all my projects had no purpose except enjoyment. I noticed that the gummint is driving the economy off a cliff (and thus the value of the dollar too) and decided that the housing sector of our economy has a stability of its own because everybody (except bums) has to live somewhere, so I bought some houses and rented them out. Now I spend several hours a week being a landlord. (Work varies, many weeks there is none at all.) Oddly, it appears it will turn a profit. And with as little confidence as I have in our government's fiscal policy, I really like the idea that I'm playing with 75% of somebody else's money. (I put 25% down on my properties.) I like to think that if inflation (devaluation of the dollar) strikes with a vengeance that 3/4 of the losses on my investment due to inflation will be borne by my mortgage lenders (fixed rate mortgages, my payments won't change), while I keep 100% of my profits, and that if inflation rises housing prices will rise too, so I can raise the rent. End result: if inflation rises I make more profit. Yes that is an overly simplistic way of looking at it, but there's some truth to it.

The alternative was having a whole bunch of money in a money market account paying 0.nothing percent -- less than inflation -- and watching the worth of my savings deteriorate every year.

The government has a great way of solving that $17T federal debt. Devalue the dollar by 50% (or inflate our economy by double) and that debt is half as much in real buying power. It's a great way to **** the Chinese investors who own so much of our national debt.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

You must have a more effective HR person than I had.

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

Being retired is fun if you shuck off your corporate shell and go sole proprietor. It's just you and your customers -- and Uncle Sam (the greedy son of a bitch!).

I still don't get the concept where the government confiscates about 50% of our earnings. Doesn't that mean that half of us work for Uncle Sam, or that all of us work for Uncle Sam half the time?

Is this what our Constitutional framers intended in 1776 or 1784 or whatever?

11. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I once complained to HR and I ended up getting in trouble. I was even told by the hiring manager when I told her that I might be a "tad" late due to a childbirth, that I should have mentioned that in the interview since that would've been a factor in the hiring. I was like, that's exactly why I didn't mention it you fucking moron. To this day, her ethnicity has ruined it for me whenever I need to work with someone like her and her minion.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

I would have told her, "You never asked me about that. If it was important to you you should have mentioned it. When we interviewed I was focused on answering your questions in a satisfactory manner. It was not my job to steer the conversation into things that I may have thought could be important."

In other words, "It was your own f****** fault for not asking." Oh yeah, but... they aren't allowed to ask personal questions like that! Questions that might result in discriminatory hiring! That is the true reason you were never asked. Anti-discrimination laws forbid asking such questions.