1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LOTRO] Doing it right...

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by ethics, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

With the Helms Deep expansion going live on Nov 18th, figured I'd peek in. Man, so many changes even before this expansion but the single most awesome one (and at a relative low cost) is the ability to "port back" to the quest giver. Holy saving mega time, Batman.

You do the quest, you port, you finish a task in Michel Delving and you are in Forochal and have either a finished quest at both areas or one of the areas with bind to the latter and voila... bam, give back the tasks, port back to the area you are question...

Speaking of which, this actually allows you to have more fun as you are not in the QUEST AREA all the damn time. Due to the port option, you can go all over the place, including BOOK quests.
    On top of that, I was in a REALLY cool Kin (The Alliance on Landroval) and one guy just gave me a 1st age rune weapons... BAM!

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wait.... You are able to port back to a quest giver after every quest without a cooldown ?

So you can theoretcally hit 5 different areas automatically within 5 minutes with no penalty?

Not have to fight your way back through something either over and over?

Neat

3. ethics

Yeppers, we did a 40 min Sauren Keep which is unheard of. Game is very streamlined now and I love it.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Hmmmm. My housing is probably toast by now, but I'm tempted.

5. ethics

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I gotta admit, I took the time on Sunday to sit through the full download and do a fresh install on my 27" iMac Retina. ('cause i'm an idiot and completely forgot that Turbine actually cares about Mac gamers and made a Mac client years ago!)

Hoo Lee Shit :drool-11: how spectacular this game looks now on this box, with max resolution and everything on Ultra settings, I'm pulling down a consistent 120FPS.
    I lost my house about a year or so ago due the new system taking them back again after you forget to pay up sucka, but the good news is that al my housing crap is still in escrow permanently.
    Just gonna leave it there for a but until I decide to re-buy another delux house or not.
    Haven't played any quests yet, still just tweaking UI settings and learning what buttons do what again.

Since I'm a lifer sub still, I'm still VIP status for free, and got a ton of Turbine points over the last 2 years as well as 2 more anniversary gift boxes on all characters and a bunch of new titles.

It's almost like a whole new game again, for now.

Still have all 4 of my characters on Vilya, which appears from local chat in Dwarf-town to be somewhat active still.

ethics likes this.
  7. ethics

Awesome. I took a break not because I lost interest but higher rl priorities.

8. ethics

Let me know if you are interested in Landroval. I am in -- probably -- the best kin. They do runs and they help out people for real. Need a blue knife? Someone will do it for you. They are always throwing something in the kin chat as well. They also have deed runs, pick up groups within the Kin. These are all older folk too.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm. I should see how well it runs on the notebook. Not sure if I've tried it or not since getting this one. I know the old Toshiba has issues running it.

10. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Im holding off on any moves until the mega server merges in June, they are combining all of the smaller servers into a few larger ones shortly.

11. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Above is the recording of my gameplay hitting a brick wall on my Guardian at lvl 82

After leveling up for a month now, and getting him able to cross into Rohan, I can't seem to play any more than 3-5 minutes without a CTD.

It seems there was a somewhat-known memory leak on the Mac client back in Bullroarer beta that made it through, causing any interaction south of Great River to randomly cause the Mac client to dump out to desktop, and for me, mainly when mounted. which is even doubly retarded since Rohan is BUILT around MOUNTED combat. Sure, I guess could walk everywhere... :rolleyes:

I'm now back on my lvl 56 Hunter trying to remember where I left off (crash free, BTW) and doing everything possible to avoid anything in Moria again to see what happens in the next few days/weeks with the newest bullroarer build, but I'm not holding my breath since rumor mongers abound in the forums say that Turbine doesn't even have have a Mac developer on the team anymore.

Boy am I glad I just bought the latest expansion with my Turbine points.....o_O

12. ethics

What server is your hunter? Mine is 56 we could do shit.

13. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All my characters that matter are on Vilya still, I have some placeholders scattered around (that I need to get rid of before the merge so as not to screw up my names being shoved all into one server and causing a singularity)

14. ethics

Ah. Oh well.

15. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Its no biggie, I'm getting my Elf Hunter ready to head into Lothlorien now, I'm finishing up quests at the river to be able to cross.
    As long as I don't need to do anything ever again in Moria (aside from a smattering of left-over epic line quests on my Hunter) it's all good.
    I forgot how much I hate that place until I was doing some book III epic quests on my Guard and got sent into the deeps under Isengard, and remembered how much I loathe underground Orc areas.

16. ethics

After re-do I hate Lothlorien more than Moria. As soon as you ding 65, go to Gantrev.

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, will be looking to skip as much of Mirkwood as possible. I ground out every bit on my Guard and hated it.

ethics likes this.
  18. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm backtracking on my Hunter trying to fill in Volume I Epic questline to get mah pony, and noticed that the graphics have improved a shit-ton in the older areas, this is a screenshot of the area around the Dwarf starter zone I got sent back to in order to defeat an Angmar Knight. The detail of the mountain in the far off distance is stunning

ScreenShot00000.jpg

19. ethics

Yep. by far (to me) still the best looking MMORPG out there.