1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the internet have TOO much information?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Don't get me wrong, the internet is great. Super place to do research and find quick answers on a wide range of topics.

But there's one area that I'm a little leary of, and that's medical information. Far too many people run to the internet to "self diagnose" themselves and many times end up in a panic when they think they have something, when in fact, they don't.

Is there too much info out there?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yes and no.

I think it's great that people can now go to the doctor and actually know what the options he/she will offer for them for cure/treatment, or pain management. I've gone to my doctor with my wife, and he was clueless about the new FDA approved drug from Europe that might work much better for my wife than the leading US prescribed stuff. We had a lovely printout for him. :)

I think this hurts people when they do not do enough research on the net and tend to believe one website that happens to be way off.

My mom has a tendency of doing this, just because it's on the net does not make it 100% accurate until you check and quadruple check it with other medical websites.

3. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

My own doctor says the only source he trusts for his patients on the open Internet is Web MD.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

I don't think there's a problem of too much information, I believe there's too much crap out there now that makes it hard to find trustworthy information. I don't have any studies to cite, but seems the way search engines rank results, more of the crap is coming up before legitimate web sites, and so being able to discern the crap from good information is critically important these days.

In the early days, I was showing a friend how easy it was to find information on almost anything. I proved this to him by pulling up data on an obscure desert spider he had done field studies on. Very good information, he said. A similar search today found the same link to that information way down in the search listing.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I agree. I often times spend hours researching and researching to find something which is often pages and pages down the list.

But, I certainly wouldn't want to be without it!

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

Too much info, not nearly enough quality smut.

I also have heard that webmd is the only wholly trustworthy source of western medical advice online. Its the only site I check for medical information.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

WebMD has never - EVER - been wrong, in my case.

Everytime something weird happens to me, and I make an appt. with a doctor and they don't know what's going on, I always find the answer on WebMD. And then when I go back, and tell the doctors, they'll run the right tests on me and sure enough, WebMD was right, and I get treatment.

I think when it comes to medicine and your health, the only person to really trust is yourself. It's extremely important to take a proactive attitude towards your health. If you trust your doctor that he doesn't find anything wrong with you, and ignore what's wrong with you, you're the one going to pay for it, not your doctor.

Quick story - all through my teens, I had a problem. I went to several doctors, and each and every one of them could not figure out what was wrong with me. One doctor, who I will never forget his face and his hairy hands, after he examined me, told me to imagine putting on a very big, heavy wintercoat. Then he told me to imagine stuffing the pockets with bags and bags and bags of 10lb potatoes. When I asked him what was he telling me, because I didn't understand the analogy, he told me that what was wrong with me was that I was fat and that I should stop eating and drink more water and just eat salads, and once I lost weight, my weird health problem would go away. I sat there, speachless - I was young at the time, about 17, but I had the sense to hop off his table and tell him to go to hell, and I walked out of his practice, my mother walking behind me. As time passed, I kept going to doctors - I went to about 12 doctors in all, and NO ONE could tell me what was wrong with me.

Then I got hooked up to the internet, and started discovering websites, learned how to look up information, etc. One day I was watching Dateline (the news magazine show), and they had a segment about a woman who had ALL my symptoms. Right down to the weird sudden weight gains (even tho she was eating LESS) - her story was the same as mine, she went to doctor after doctor, and no one could tell her what was wrong, untill she found one who actually LISTENED to her, to her symptoms, and after doing a battery of tests on her, diagnosed her with PCOS. After the show, I went to the Dateline website, and read over the list of symptoms (which was quite extensive). I had every single one of them.

Soon after, I found a new doctor, and told him of all my symptoms, and then told him how I had seen the show Dateline, the segment about that lady, and that it was something called PCOS that she had, and I thought that perhaps this is what I had. He didn't think so, but he did all the tests anyways - guess what? I've got PCOS.

I started going to doctors at age 13 to find out what was wrong with me. I finally got diagnosed at age 21. 8 years of going to doctors, relying on them to help me, and in the end, it was a tv show and my looking up on the internet what was wrong with me to actually get me the help I needed.

If this thread were about too much info on the web because you can look up how to make a bomb out of used chewing gum and baking soda, I'd probably agree. But when it's about your health, there is no such as thing as 'too much information'. As long as you go to a doctor, and tell them what you found out, it's a good thing. Most of the time, doctors don't know everything, despite all their schooling and continued education. They aren't Gods, they need a little help. And it's your life. Take care of it.