1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you rely on instinct and intuition?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 21, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Has it been dulled by life?

My answers? Yes and yes. I rely HEAVILY on it, mostly because I come from a culture that didn't have much other information. The problem with mine now is that it has been hijacked by cynicism of living life in NYC. I don't trust people, I lack the same compassion I used to have, only because experiences in life has brought me here. Not looking for an excuse, but just stating a fact.

You?

How to Get Your Intuition Back (When It’s Hijacked by Life)

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I would say my instincts are honed in one area (for those that should never, ever be trusted). Between life and the job in asset protection, you develop a sense for those that are just plain crooked. As for those I should trust, that takes a long time. And yes, it's due to life in general. At least I've been able to drop the curmudgeon title due to having a serious love interest.

Allene and ethics like this.
  3. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Instinct, intuition, street smarts, spidey sense... Call it what you want but, for me, it is something that has not dulled over time. If anything I have a heightened awareness, which I contribute to my reflexes being a bit slower than they used to be so I have had to compensate by being more in tune with my surroundings. I still check vehicles and occupants when I pass them. I still look over an establishment and patrons when entering. I still look around me, noticing people and objects, when I am out and about.

BDD

Allene, ethics and Arc like this.
  4. Arc

Arc Full Member

The force is strong with me. Always has been and it has served me well.

BDD and I are much alike regarding what he states in his post.

Allene and BigDeputyDog like this.
  5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have never felt highly instinctual. But in pressure situations I have found I do what I should. I think a lot of that is being in charge, being responsible. What should somebody in my position do and I find I am doing it. I think that military thinking has carried over into everyday life. There have been moments when those actions have landed me in hot water but I have found that honestly explaining why I did when I did it has had good results.

Part of staying out of trouble is what BDD and Arc have articulated, being aware of where you are and maybe not going where you should not be. As I get older and find it more difficult to get around I find myself planning where I am going and what I am going to do when I get there has helped me keep independent and not get overwhelmed by surprise.

Some of my biggest battles the last few years have been medically related. Educating myself about what I am facing has been essential. On the other hand, sometimes you can learn too much. I cannot always recommend watching YT videos about surgery you are about to undergo. :)

Allene, ethics, Arc and 1 other person like this.
  6. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."
    "The best lessons in life are usually followed by the phrase, 'HOLLLEEEE SHIT! I'll *NEVER* do that again!' "

Depending on the time frame for a decision, it's either "analyze it and all possible consequences to 3 decimal places" or "Jump. Now."

Allene likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I live in the middle of what was once a wheat field, and I make sure that the doors are always locked day and night, which amuses some of my neighbors. If someone rings the bell, I look out the window first to see who is there. I never got over living in Boston. I am super alert to my surroundings whenever I'm on a big city street by myself. When it comes to people's faces, I've had almost a lifetime of reading them to help me understand conversations, so I pick up more than most people do. I guess it's YES/YES to both in the OP. :)

ethics likes this.