1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Not Fly List = Do Not Buy Guns List?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by amanda121287, Jun 11, 2018.

1. amanda121287

amanda121287 New Member

After the San Bernadino shooting now all the politicians and talking heads are asking, "If you are not safe to fly, why would you be safe to buy a gun?" They're acting like it should be an automatic given that persons on the do not fly list should not be able to buy firearms.

There's just a few problems...

1.) Many people who are on the do not fly list are not aware of it unless they attempt to fly.

2.) The do not fly list is fraught with errors. Many honest people are mistakenly on the list or have names resembling those who should be prevented from flying.

3.) Just how are firearm dealers going to be able to check the do not fly list?

4.) Um, gun shows?

5.) If they are going to buy guns for homicidal purposes, there is a plentiful supply of street guns.

6.) And the biggie: WE HAVE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO BUY AND OWN FIREARMS!!!

The government can't just add somebody to the do not fly list and then restrict their ability to purchase firearms.

There are two solutions for that:

1.) Okay, pass legislation. Certain people with psychiatric history are not allowed to buy firearms. Felons cannot buy firearms (some exceptions). I still have a problem adding those on the do not fly list to this class of people who cannot buy firearms.

2.) Get a court order against each person on the do not fly list that removes their legal right to buy and own firearms. For US citizens I see grounds for a Constitutional counter-suit. For resident nationals, I'm not so sure they have any recourse. Does the 2nd Amendment apply to foreigners? And foreign nationals who cannot be located or are not in the country? Good luck serving them!

But if nothing else, I see the problem of licensed gun dealers being able to access the do not fly list. I guess they pass on the vetting to some government organization so maybe they can check the do not fly list.

But there's still illegal purchases, straw man purchases and gun shows.

This is just another damned media circus that I cannot see going anywhere.

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

When you try to purchase a firearm, multiple databases are queried, looking for any flags like 'psych history,' 'felony conviction,' 'no-fly,' etc.

"Gun-shows" provide no exception. If you buy from an FFL holder, it doesn't matter if you're at his business, his home, or a gun show, if you're buying something in his FFL log he has to do a background check on you.

The Second Amendment binds the Federal government from restricting your ability to arm yourself. It doesn't bind States. You need a FOID (Firearm Owners' Identification) to possess or purchase a weapon in Illinois.

And just to give you a chuckle, here is Trey Gowdy asking a Government Bureaucratic Drone about "chilled rights." I love her open-mouthed astonished look whenever he asks a question she has to think about.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Unless you buy from another individual you have to pass a background check. Rather than having the gun dealers use the no fly list have the sharing of names occur at the background check level. No additional paperwork at the gun dealer.

Straw man purchases are illegal now. Good citizens have the ability to sell guns safely now. Last gun I sold I would only make the deal with somebody with a Florida drivers license (state law) and that would meet me at a legal gun dealer and pass a background check.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

When I go with my husband to gun shows in nearby Washington State, I am only at the shows for about an hour and a half at the end to help him pack up. I get in about a half hour before closing and go behind his tables. Washington Arms Collectors (WAC) who run the two shows that my husband participates in, won't let anyone behind the tables without an FBI background check. So I had that done plus membership in WAC and a name tag to prove it. If I forget the name tag, the security guys go after me. Ed doesn't even sell guns, just limited-in-size magazines. No complaints here. I'm glad that they are doing all that!