1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ditch, Jan 5, 2003.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Is it possible to have this wave in my Avatar breaking across to the left as you look at it, with the surfer moving acsoss the wave ahead of the break?

I'm digging my way through my new book on Image Ready but would be grateful for a few hints or examples of what can be done.

Thanks folks. :)

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Nope, cannot be done :_

(Ditch, no charge for getting them to prove me wrong)

3. IamZed

IamZed ...

Yes it can. But you may have to do it yourself.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Damn rough crowd. :)

Ditch, I am sure one of the good people of this forum will be able to do something for you.

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Mmmmm. I've got a yes and I've got a no.

Any more hints people. I'll do it myself if it can be done. I believe Image Ready is the appropraite software but from there I'm guessing atleast for the time being.

6. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I think I can... I think I can... I think I can... ;)

BDD... :{)

7. ethics

Ooooh... not bad! :)

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

It's always harder with small pictures. When I do graphics work I tend to use a larger picture then scale it down...

9. Meteor Dive

Meteor Dive Registered User

With animations, it's bit more involved. Especially with this request. Mainly you have have to redraw tje picture and construct an animation by hand, frame by frame. We usually did things like that day by day anyway at DSLR, so BDD and group has experience.

10. Meteor Dive

Okay ditch here's an attempt. I spent a good hour on it. I'm getting a bit tired staring at this screen, so I'm gonna take a little breather. It's about 148K

11. BigDeputyDog

Looks good, MD!!! :thumbsup:

ya young whippersnapper!! ;)

12. Meteor Dive

Thanks BDD :)

Here's another shot at it, just trying to get color tone a bit down, so that the wave could blend in instead of just a bar on it. And I added little a little cloud, just to give sense of atmosphere in there. I'm not not gonna even try to optimize it to lower filesize. It's at 134K, 255 colors-(error diffusion) and it will stay there.

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Thanks to both of you. They look great. To be honest I'd be happy with either.

As one old fella to another BDD will we give the Young Wippersnapper a run? It fits the criteria at 134k?

I'll work out later how to uplaod it..

Great stuff!

14. BigDeputyDog

Ditch...

I've been in awe of MD's artistic ability everysince I first saw it...
    The young man is amazing!!! :thumbsup:

15. Meteor Dive

Ah shucks BDD :) Thankyou

If you wandering how I how came up with those odd waves, I used the effects tool in animation shop.

Effects >> Insert image effect >> Underwater effect and played with a few of it's settings.

As for getting the across, I pretty much had to export it to PSP and edit the little guy, as well as redrawing the waves. I mostly used the smudge tool, size set at 10; hardness to 0; opacity to 100; step at 20-25; and density at 100. Pretty much you drag the properties of the pictures and just draw.

16. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Great. Its fascinating stuff. Any time you feel like pushing some tips and tricks to the forum, just like the ones above, I know there will be a lot of interest in them.

17. ethics

You know what's scary? Ditch's animations are not stopped neither by ZAP nor proxomitron. MD is probably worth millions to the ad companies right now.

18. BigDeputyDog

shhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell him that, ethics!! We'd lose some of our best talent here!!! :thumbsup:

19. Meteor Dive

I tend to do that a lot with tons of images and captures. And here's the clip behind the scenes of ditch's avatar becoming swiss cheese :) As you see, I had to just draw each frame out one by one. Had to edit atleast 64 frames. Haven't cleaned them up to extreme as of yet. But it looks good as it stands.

20. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

dude, that rocks! There is more to it than knowing the software. It is art.

wapu