1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Computing

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Coot, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I know that many of us here have been or are currently involved in DC projects. I've run Seti and Folding in the past (nothing currently running now). I'm just curious if there's a desire to support a project under the GA banner. I have several machines that could run a project that allows caching or multiple iterations as they have no internet access and things would have to be transferred periodically. Anyone else interested?

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes. Its worth assessing the interest level at GA I agree. I don't know enough to offer help in any way would be interested in participating if the numbers are there.

Worth mentioning that while there's been some movement from EL to here, there are still a number of us, myself included, that still take part in DC projects at BBR. No reason in itself not to start a similar thing here though.

3. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I am pretty into SETI. I owe a lot of that interest to Team Starfire at BBR. I would not leave the SETI Team there. The other DC projects have been a little hard to use for me. They just don't have the ease of use that SETI does. I would be willing to help anybody running SETI as it is the project first, but I would not switch teams.

EDIT: Let me clarify that I would not leave the people in the SETI Team there. If they all moved, I would go to as my allegience is to my fellow members, not any site. The same for here. I would follow the pack. WHether it is GA or some other site. SO long as the people were there. I hope that makes more sense.

wapu

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

We plan to have our AS/400 at V5 by springtime or early summer.

Once at this level the necessary licensed program will be present for me to do some crunching on our test and development partitions.

I've never seen a 400 crunch by my guess would be that some serious work units would be processed.

If a club does take off here I will pursue the above.

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I would love to dedicate my 1 machine to the cause. Seti was my first love, and between me and another user, we contributed several thousand WU's. I then participated in the genome one. I would love to participate if GA set one up.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well, I tried to separate the people who are crunching from the politics of the forums, but this thread made me look at Team Discovery page (it's public so no need to have an account, thank goodness) and I was just pissed at how many of the people I knew dollarcided.

I have MANY machines crunching for the Team Discovery of BBR and if you look at <a href="http://disco.mine.nu/udstats.html">this page</a>, you would see that I am number 6 out of 920 or so. If people are serious, I am willing to switch the plugs (in comparison to pulling the plug).

I don't know why so many dollarcided, although I can only guess, but I am willing to crunch under a different banner if there's enough want or need.

Not sure if we have enough people here to feel any type of impact in comparison to the likes of BBR though. :(

7. Coot

I'm game!! I have several thousand Seti units, but I'm no longer running it. I'd be willing to genome, as I believe I can run it on machines that have no internet connection. Folding also works, I turn my home machines off during the day when no one is home, but I can leave my laptop connected.

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I've run all the programs over at BBR, and was on the ground floor for most of them.

Ethics, I do know why TD members left, I was one of them. I didn't leave for the same reason the others left, but I know their reasons. (Similar to the reasons people left the EL to come here).

I currently have my computers running TSC with another team composed of mostly those persons, but I would be willing to switch here if we ran <i>another</i> project. Unfortunately, for personal reasons I had it with most of the projects I've run, especially UD. I know something about the software and science UD is using, and decided there were better alternatives, although I never voiced my opinion when I was a member of Team Discovery.

If I may be so bold, there is one project I ran for a few months that was very stable, so I'd like to suggest <a href="http://www.find-a-drug.org/">Find-A-Drug</a>. It's run by the original developer of the Think program which UD used to run before they switched to ligandfit. It's a relatively new program for cancer research, and other diseases, and it's tied in with Oxford University like UD is. I ran it through the alpha and beta stages. I wasn't on any team there though.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to run TSC against my current team, and I'm sure you feel the same way about UD. I'd prefer to start a team not competing against our friends at BBR or my teammates at Team Allegiance.

9. ethics

Sounds like I need to look in to this. I loved the initial UD project so this may be more to my liking.

Not at all. Firstly, we would be too small initially to compete against anyone. Secondly, I don't think there needs to be a use for that word when the common goal is to find the cure or even treatment of something like Cancer.

I'm gonna check out the Find-A-Drug and see if I will be switching.

10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Well, the reason I liked it over there was Keith (Think) is a very hands on guy in the forums. If you had a problem, he was right on it. Kinda like you are here :). I haven't been in their forums for a couple of months now, and I know they're starting to get a few more members, but I still think he's very accessible. The largest team over there only has 70 members. I'm in the top 20 individual stats still, and haven't crunched for 2 or 3 months, so it's still in it's infancy.

11. ethics

Perhaps the best time to get in?

My only concern is how the proxy is handled. The UD project was easy to throw on some pc's at work because it went around the proxy config to send the info back and forth.

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

If we go down the path Ethics I can promise you my 840 at work will crunch enough work units to put us on the map quite quickly ;)

13. ethics

LOL! I can imagine!!!!

I think we should utilize our time and thoroughly research the best venue for us, and then sort of dive in and see how that works out.

I've never been disappointed in being part of the team that tries to find a cure for Cancer or other diseases. Hell, it's actually been very rewarding for me.

14. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I don't run through a proxy myself, but I'd be happy to ask in the forums over there for you . I'm needing to get out of the office for tonight, so if you want, browse the forums a little to get a feel over there. If we set up a team, everyone should check it out personally first. You can join yourself of course and test it for a few days. FaD is a suggestion, I wouldn't want anyone to think its the only option.

15. Coot

Does this program require an internet connection to run, or can the work units be periodically transferred back and forth via zip disk? I have 8 machines without a connection and they never will have one.

16. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

As I mentioned previously I won't be in a position to assist until the April/May time frame so there is plenty of time to kick the concept around.

Just give me a shout when you arrive at a decision.

17. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Argh, why are these damn things so Windows-centric? How come none of them (except maybe SETI?) are open-source? None of my machines that are on all the time run Windows or even Linux.

18. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Count me in too!

19. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

If there is a Linux client I'll run it.

20. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

It looks like there is a linux version of the software...

from the website

BDD... :{)