1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dirty Dancing"

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 1, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

"If these children are learning how to dance, it will be so easy for them when they get to be in any discotheque, because they will already know how to dance. And discotheques are not the best places.... In those places, the young people can get drugs and knowledge of things that do not edify them."

Pastor Edgar Chacon has evicted Creative Planet, an after-school arts program, from his El Monte, California, church because the children were learning yoga and modern dance.

Yoga is a pagan practice, and modern dance is taboo, according to the pastor of Santa Anita Wesleyan Church. Bill Rugh is the director of Creative Planet and also taught at the church's elementary school. He began the program in 2001 under a former pastor in order to give children in the community a chance to explore the arts. In addition to yoga and modern dance, the program offered courses in acting, music, voice, ballet, tap, and creative writing. The church provided no financial support for the program; Rugh has paid the costs for many of the 48 students, most of whom do not attend the church.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pagan26nov26,0,5616528.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

What do you expect from El Monte?

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the gang activity there, myself.

SM

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The practices banned from his church are harmless in my eyes. However, I must say that the pastor was entirely correct in stopping teachings he considered anathema to his religion. Churches have every right to require activities taking place on their premises meet their requirements. I am not in favor of religion but I would not ban them having the same rights as any other group of people meeting for a particular reason. Now if you want to talk about tax breaks for religion we could have a discussion.

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Well I am no fan of religions and churches, but I have to side with them on this one. This was paid for by Rugh, and no tax money has been used(I presume). If the Boy Scouts can exclude homosexuals and atheists, this guy can stop yoga and dancing in his church.

I can MAYBE understand why he wants to put a stop to yoga. After all, isn't it a spiritual thing? However, I am not so sure about the dancing. If it involves grinding, then I can understand why he wants it to stop.

Mark it on your calendars. I am siding with God on this one. ;)

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yoga a pagan practice? Burn the organisers of this evil thing at the stake! :huh:

6. ethics

Beats me... Sounds like they dug that one out of their asses and have no idea who Yogi (Not the bear) was.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Re: Re: "Dirty Dancing"

Yoga spiritual..You may have a point but the physical benefits from practising it get far more press than any spiritual aspects. Don't think a church would ban yoga for that reason. Although we are talking Christianity here aren't we. :huh:

8. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Re: Re: Re: "Dirty Dancing"

For what it is worth, people use the term Christianity as if it has one meaning. Actually they are referring to one or more of three different meanings:

1. The religion as represented by the organizational church. Usually <i> but not always </i> the Catholic Church.

2. The faith.

3. Individual people or groups of peoples who profess to be Christians and are shooting off their mouths as individuals but by inference are mistakenly perceived by non-Christians as spokespersons for or representative of the faith. Usually but not always they are those people labeled as fundamentalists.

Often the people referring to Christianity don't consciously realize the difference when making their comments or criticism.

9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Dirty Dancing"

Ah. Ok, then the Christianity I was referring to in this instance JW was no.1. Gets complicated doesn't it!

10. mikeky

mikeky Member

The Christian Great Commission is to evangelize others; somehow I don't think getting yourself portrayed in the media as a narrow-minded leader works toward that effort.

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

*sigh* Christians trying to get people not to dance?

[​IMG]

Get the hint? If not I can provide more.

:rolleyes:

12. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Taken from http://www.yrec.org/shorthistory.html

I can see where he he coming from, but I don't think today's Americans view Yoga in quite the same way. I see nothing wrong with teaching these things in a Christian church, but I agree he has the right to exclude them.

13. ethics

I am thick and miss the meaning of that pic, unless it's REALLY obvious! Then it would be just like me.

14. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Domhain, Better put me on the thick list too. More hints needed.:(

15. Domh

Domh Full Member

ok sorry that was a little obtuse.

how about this one?

think back to 1984... christians, teenagers, dancing is bad...

[​IMG]

Weve been over this territory so many times, why dont they give it a rest?

:rolleyes: