1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diplomatic Immunity

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cdw, Jan 3, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Are we also afforded diplomatic immunity when in other countries, and are the "rules" the same as when their reps are here, since we don't all have the same laws?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Pretty much.. Diplomats can literally get away with murder. Happens here quite often.

3. cdw

Aren't you in the US?

4. Biker

I'm from the US. I live in Canada.

5. cdw

So, when we are, say, in Saudi Arabia or some such place, our diplomats get away with "murder" too? Just wondering.. it came up in a discussion here at home.

6. Biker

That's the problem with diplomatic immunity. They can conceivably commit any crime and get away with it. The only thing you could hope for is the home country doing something about it once they were expelled from the country they committed the offence in. Want to know the kicker on this? It applies to their immediate family as well.

7. Biker

8. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Yep. Diplomatic immunity is a necessary and sometimes evil institution or concept. Hell, half the people with diplomatic passports in any industrialized country or the ME are "spies".

9. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

It can come in very handy! ;) I was at a conference in Edmonton, Alberta, in 2001, where I hooked up with a married couple from the US who I've known for years.

We were really whooping it up at an Irish pub... so much so, one of our party asked the wife of this couple if they weren't worried about getting the cops called.

She just winked, unbuttoned her jacket pocket and pulled out a US passport the had the words "Diplomatic Passport" in big gold letters... turns out she works for the Department of State, Embassy section!

I asked if she could get <b>me</b> one of those!
    :nut: