1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diet Numbers that matter

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I couldn't read the article because of the half page pop up telling me to turn off my ad blocker (no, I won't! Don't tell me what to do! You're not my mother), but I can attest to the fact that cutting breads, pasta and sugar can work wonders. After being diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic, I totally changed my diet by cutting out those things and more. I counted my carbohydrates at every meal, ate healthier snacks, and watched my weight (and blood glucose levels) come down. I found healthier substitutes for most of the bad things I was eating and when I did "cheat" I did so by adjusting my carb intake for the day. Small things make a big difference: thin crust instead of thick crust on pizza, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. It can be done!!

BDD

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

Wow Dave, that's awesome. You've fully experienced the benefits. Very awesome and happy for you. That's just will power and award system for that. :)

This week is my first week where I am trying to do the same. I did it back in 2012 and got down to 148 lbs (Was NOT a goal for me but it happened). Now it's time to do it again. Not getting any younger.

BigDeputyDog likes this.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've dropped over 60 pounds since last winter. I cut out all the junk food and reduced the portions that I eat. Didn't really change anything with the diet, and I still eat what I want to eat. Just smaller portions. I'm not a soda drinker, so that was a no brainer. Coffee in the morning (black) and water for the rest of the day.

Allene likes this.
  5. ethics

Nice! That's actually a good point. Just cutting portions is tremendous.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

A few years ago, maybe 5 or 6, I lost 80lbs in 10 months just by counting calories. Ate many frozen diet meals. Tried to limit daily calorie intake to 1200-1500. On holidays I would eat more but just smaller portions of holiday items. Drank diet drinks or unsweetened tea. I have regained about half of what I lost.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

That is how I've been eating for years. Diets that people go on for a certain period, don't work in the long run. I don't count calories, but I know from experience how much I can eat and stay at a good weight. I eat bread, pasta, and potatoes in moderation. Back in the 1980s I started watching the kind and amount of fat I ate -- not to lose weight, but to follow American Heart Association guidelines. That and going easy on the salt have paid off enormously. I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I don't give them up entirely either.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

For the following when practiced gives me a reasonably good weight:

Do not regularly eat desserts or even more important, eat between or after meals. Eating after the last meal of the day will really put it on you. (Pun intended.)

Aerobic exercise. It burns calories, physically makes your heart muscle healthy and efficient, raises HDL, and helps control blood sugar. If you are able to do a lot of aerobic exercises it really helps keep healthy blood sugar levels where they should be and purely IMO by observation reduces insulin resistance, (a major cause of type II diabetes.)

I haven't done the above for the past year and as a result, I am carrying at least 20 pounds too much. Consequently, I've committed to doing what I describe above as healthy as far as eating.

Fortunately, I get plenty of exercise by bicycling two to three times a week riding each time somewhere between 25 and 75 miles. (Used to go up to 100 miles but I have decided to stop that as of the beginning of this year.)

I also do light weight workout to just maintain tone and balance. Indirectly it theoretically raises my metabolism a bit so theoretically, that burns some extra calories. Unfortunately, I don't do it often enough IMO.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Allene likes this.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I don't eat between meals either. I trained myself not to when I was young. Now I don't even think of it. I walk a lot outdoors, but the ground is uneven and slows me down, so I also use a treadmill with an incline of 3 and a speed of 3.5 mph. I need to increase the use of my light weights. It's a challenge to stay motivated with them.