1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Halle Berry's Oscar Speach Hurt her career?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by wapu, Jan 6, 2003.

1. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Halle Berry's acceptance Speech at the 2002 Oscar Awards did not go over well with a lot of people. I thought it was over the top and actually turned the channel during it. I felt the entire night was overtly racist and didn't enjoy it one bit. Then, when I heard about her comments to Revlon, here, I decided I would not see <i>Monster's Ball</i>, and I haven't.

My question is whether the speech hurt Halle Berry's Career? <i>Die another Day</i> was by no means a success at the box office and her role in <i>X-Men 2</i> is not as big as it could have been, given the "Academy Award Winning Actress" tag they could put next to her name. She says she will most likely not be in X-MEN 3 because here role is not big enough. I think it not only hurt her career, but the speech and her actions may have done more harm to "Black" Hollywood than the "racist" producers black actors have been struggling against for so many years.

wapu

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I can't answer your question because I have never heard of the lady.

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Then you just answered his question Robert :)

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I did not care for the speech but am not black and may be missing some significance. I will always maintain that the more you want to call everything black or white the longer it will be before it does not matter. For some reason I felt that was where we were supposed to be headed.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Here's the part that's questionable but I don't see anything wrong with it:

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Exactly. It's tough for people to treat everyone equally when some people can't even get past the color of their own skin.

How Halle Berry (and ANY of the women she mentions) could feel disadvantaged is beyond me. Is there something I'm missing?

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

For me, the transcript does not do the whole scene justice. It was more than just the words. It was the context of the night as a whole, her presentation, and the words. More than just the racial overtones, she made it seem as if she had just parted the red sea. For some reason, I cannot stand to watch her in anything since then. I used to like <i>Swordfish</i> now I can't stand to see her. Not sure what it is, but I think I hate her as an actress. Odd, I know. I actually want her to fail. I want her to get knocked back down to reality. Maybe it's just me.

wapu

8. ethics

I guess I had to be have seen it.

I think since Denzel's (very much deserved) award for Training Day it was only a matter of time where the first colored woman would win.

Halle Berry is half black and half white though, no?

9. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Oh ya, she is a real Rosa Parks there.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

True, but for the African-American community, it's good enough.

SM

11. ethics

Ok, I am still missing a point why the above statement is being met with so much trepidition (if I can use that word).

She is black, and she probably would have gotten a lot of flack for dissing her community and I am SURE a lot of the black organizations and other black actors has helped Halle in her career.

She may have been a bit overjoyed and use "doors open" remark but...

12. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Who is Halle Berry? What are the Oscars? And why should I care?

13. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I guess for me she seemed conceited in the way she accepted the award. Then her actions since winning have been done nothing for me but to reinforce that conceit.

As for Denzel, He is awesome. I loved him in <i>Crimson Tide, Glory, Philadelphia, Training Day, The Hurricane, The Pelican Brief, and Courage Under Fire</i>. All great movies. For me, he made <i>The Preacher's Wife</i> watchable and <i>Much Ado About Nothing</i> awesome. I think any redeeming qualities that come from the movie <i> The Seige</i> are from his performance and not Bruce Willis. I can still sit and watch all of <i>Remember The Titans</i> when it comes on and <i>John Q</i> had a cheesy ending, but he was great in it. Don't get me wrong, I do not like everything he has done. <i> Heart Condition</i> sucked. But I will go see a movie that he is in just because he is in it. I like his acting ability and I like how he presents himself while in the spotlight.

Contrast that with Halle Berry and how she handled herself and it might make more sense. He handles himself, and racial issues, with class. She does not.

wapu

14. ethics

Thanks for elaborating. I guess I would agree with you if I saw what you saw her do that night. I DON'T think she is a great actress and that award might have been the Academy's sympathy gift for whatever reasons. She was good but I can cite better performances in other movies by other (albeit white) women.

15. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I doubt that it will have any negative effect on her career. However, I thought the whole "tone" of that event was too race conscious for me. Rather than a victory for Berry and Washington, it was more an "in your face" towards every white person watching. And what was the deal with Julia Roberts? She was like a cheerleader for every black actor that night.

As for not appearing in X-Men 3, I couldn't care less. It's pretty sad if she is not willing to accept being an equal part of a small team. If anyone should be THE star of those movies, it should be Patrick Stewart - not Halle Berry.

Regardless, Storm is an important part of that team. Hopefully they'll just hire some struggling, black actress and give someone else a chance at stardom.

And speaking of Storm, is it just me, or do her powers not even make any sense? The ability to control weather? Bleh! Why didn't they just make her Lightning Girl or Electric Woman?

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I guess I have never understood the logic where one race can throw it in another's face and then squeal about "Can't we all just get along?" And even as I write that it doesn't feel right. She had a right to be proud at winning the Oscar. I hate seeing it turned into a racial issue. That saddens me that so much is seen in the light of what color skin a person has. While I understand her pride I wish she had not chosen to emphasize that part of it. If that is her priority it is difficult to see her in the same light.

17. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Very well put Shiny.

18. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I like Halle Berry, I think she's a fun actress, but I don't think she deserved Oscar. Sorry, I didn't see Monster's Ball, but I seriously doubt her performance was that great. There's only 1 performance of hers that I actually respected, and it's from an older movie - I forgot the name of it now - but in it she played the role of a cracked out woman trying to clean up her act to get her son back. She was awesome in that role.

I think there are other black actresses that do much better work. Women like Angela Bassett - now that girl can act!

And from my black friends, a person who is half black and half white isn't really considered 'black'. Often times, they call them "oreo's" - I actually had a friend who called her BF "oreo" because he was half black and half white. But I think, like with every thing else, it's really just up to each person's own prejudices. I guess I just happened to know a lot of racist black people :nut:

19. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I see it all the time, to be sure. I'm probably a bit hardened on the issue, because there's only so many times you hear "wolf" before you decide to disbelieve.

I can't tell you how many times I've been complained on for racism in my work. The funny thing is, the complainer has no previous knowledge of me, no statistics, no facts, just alleges I'm picking on them due to their race.

Of course, the fact that the individual was committing a <B>CRIME</B> wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Lack of personal responsibility, and a victim mentality, it's dividing our nation.

20. ethics

Good point, Misu.

As a matter of fact, wasn't she whining about how she got picked by both blacks and whites? She mentioned this when she was doing her miniseries Queen. Oreo was one, Half&Half was the other.