1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diamonds; Girls Best Friend? Nope!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 13, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Counter to most preconceptions, it is women not men who are snapping up most of today's technology goodies.

According to <a href="http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,56245,00.html">Wired, today's woman would rather have a HDTV than diamond earrings.</a>

A 'study confirmed that women like digital toys just as much as men.'

Is this pure bunk? Is this because tech-toys actually do something - whereas jewelry/clothes/etc. typically just kinda lays there? Well, at least to my male mind.

Women of GA, what high-tech goodies do you want under your Christmas tree?

2. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

I'd really like to see this baby under the tree this year...

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

For my wife at least, this is complete bunk. She could care less what TV, computer, stereo we have. In fact, since my taste are quite high for all of the above, it's always a battle for me to get what I truly want and often settle for "not quite the best".

On the other hand, diamonds are her best friend. In the 5+ years we've been together, I can't think of a kind of jewelry that I haven't bought her that doesn't have diamonds. She's got multiple pairs of diamond earrings, pendants, rings, bracelets and watches.

I know...she's a lucky girl (and I'm a sucker), but it's as fun for me to buy them for her as it is for her to receive them. :)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Being a male, I honestly do not know what the hell is so great about wearing a pressurized and cut rock on your ears?

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Oh lord, my Christmas list is a mile long.

1. An IBM Thinkpad laptop
    2. The newest, fastest PocketPC PDA on the market
    3. the iPOD MP3 player (20 gig version)
    4. The best SLR Digital Cam available by Dec 24th.
    5. TONS of memory cards for both my PDA and Digicam
    6. A few cool lenses to attach to my camera
    7. Games, including Unreal 2003, Unreal Championship (Xbox), MechAssault (Xbox)
    8. A new Athlon chip to upgrade my computer
    9. The fastest video card on the market right now (GeForce 4 is would meet my minimum req's, as I hope to be the first to own DooM 3)
    10. Cordless optical mouse and keyboard - with slick optical mouse pad and wrist rest.
    11. A Keyboard and mouse controller for the Xbox
    12. My OWN Headset for Xbox live.
    13. The largest capacity PCMCIA harddrive available on the market (for my PDA)
    14. Wireless internet service for PDA and Laptop

the list goes on and on... Take me to Best Buy's and I gaurantee I can spend 10,000 bucks in 20 minutes and STILL would have to leave some stuff behind. I'm a techjunkie. I'm such a geek :)

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Misu: You sure you don't want to change from a Thinkpad to a vpr Matrix? It has a widescreen like them Apple's, but is for windows. As far as PDA, The Zaurus rules :).

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Sorry,...

I'll take the diamond.;)

8. mikeky

mikeky Member

I once gave my wife a Commodore 64, complete with cassette recorder for saving programs, for her birthday. :)

I never made that mistake again. :(

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Hey techie, thanks for the advice - you're right, I think I'd rather have the one you suggested...

<a href="http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_notebook_200A5.asp"> Designed by PORCSHE</a>

A girl can dream... *sigh*

10. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Add me to the list of those who truly don't need a diamond...

I think it's asinine to spend what amounts to the down-payment on a nice house on a friggin' rock. Hell, in some cases, you could buy the whole damn house (and furnish it)!!

Give me a nice quality CZ, set in either white or yellow gold, and it would mean just as much. As long as the guy is not trying to deceive with it, it really is "the thought that counts" when all is said and done.

Tech toys - yep, I love 'em. But for me, in the circumstances I'm in right now, I'd just as soon have a furnace that works and a new roof so I can quit running for buckets every time it rains.

I'm probably one of the few women who would appreciate as gifts a dishwasher so I didn't have to do dishes by hand, or a new vacuum cleaner to replace the broken one, or even power tools, since I'm the one who does all the repairs around here that do not have to go to a professional.

Or maybe I'm just too easy to please... :haha:

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

No way Sunriser - you're not the only one.

Last year, my christmas gift was a carpet steam cleaner - because I wanted to have a dog and cat, but I couldn't stand the dirty carpet. So that's what I got - and you know what? It's the best gift (aside from our house, which I got for my birthday - but that was a big fat coincidence, hehe) I've ever gotten.

Sometimes getting things you NEED is just so much better.

My christmas list up top was my 'if we won the lotto and all the bills were paid off and we didn't owe anyone any money and my college was paid off and everything was OK and paid on time and we have left over money" fantasy list :)

12. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Heehee! Yes, Misu, winning the lottery would definitely help... by the time I repaired everything, it would probably wind up costing more than buying new!!! Left over money? What's that??? rofl

Steam cleaner? Yup, I could sure deal with that; I've got four cats that allow me to live here with them, and the carpets could definitely use some help! <small>Anybody got a surefire way of preventing those damnable hairballs???</small> :)

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Ya, a big hungry German Shepherd!:)

14. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I just got the Winfast A250 LE-MyVivo Ti4200 128MB card (will be arriving tomorrow!).

However, the card I really wanted was the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro!! Now that's a card!! :)

Unfortunately, the $300+ price tag and the fact that it doesn't have analog video capture ability, stopped me from buying it. But, if I was making a wish list, it would sure be on there. It is even DirectX 9.0 compatible which isn't even available yet!!