1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo III Official Thread

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Domh, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I finally broke down...

Jackboot#1761

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Stilgaard#1280

My main barb is 21ish and my witchdoctor just got through act 1 this morning at lvl 15, I'm loving the witchdoctor, but my Barb is my main first-in explorer for everything.

I rolled one each of all classes, the monk is not bad (even though the game refused to let me name him Adrian, said it was an "inappropriate" name, heh ) Wizard is your typical glass cannon and I just can't seem to get behind the demon hunter at all.

3. Copzilla

I've spent a day on it, and have my first roll, a monk, up through act 1 and to level 18. A monk is a fun toon. I tried using the sorcerer sidekick, and she stunk. She might be good with a barb or similar toon, but my first sidekick is becoming very self sufficient, and he's by far the better henchman.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wizard is very soft. I ran my witch doctor through all acts with not much problem. Wizard? With out going to the auction and stocking her out I can't get out of act 2.

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Got my Barbarian through Act 2 yesterday.

Some of my hits and misses with the game so far...
    Hit:
    1. NO BOUND GEAR! I can't believe how much better the game is now that I don't have items bound to a character, I can use it and pass it down or sell it in the AH when I please, what a treat. And it's awesome how the gear changes looks based on the character wearing it.
    2. Gear drops like a hooker to it's knees. Blue items a dime a dozen, and Gold items I seem to get at least 2-3 per session of play. I got my first legendary (Orange) yesterday in act 2 and was able to slot the Daibo on my Monk within a level of play on him and he'll probably have it through Act 1. well into Act 2.
    3. The achievement system is like crack to a completionist like me, I found myself going back to catch certain conversations in between quests that were hard to find in Act I. Hint: Talk to EVERYONE in town before accepting new quests from anybody, especially if the Blacksmith moves and after you get Shen you need to run Act I again. ;)

Misses:
    Auction House: Clunky, hard to search and sucks that you need to log out of the game to use.
    Movement, The click-to-move format should have died with Diablo2 has caught me up several times in not being able to get out of a fray in time to grab a heal or kite, totally missing the AWSD movement ability here like in every other MMO.
    Inventory: 10,000 per 14 slot upgrade then another 100,000 to get another tab, rinse, repeat. Just once I'd like to see a game system that just gives you all the inventory slots possible at the start and make the money sink elsewhere. I'm already filling up 2 mules after opening all of the slots possible on tab 1.

jimeez likes this.
  6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I agree wholeheartedly with all of your hits and misses.

I love the cross-character stash, too. When I finally get around to rolling a witch doctor, monk, demon hunter, and barbarian, they're going to have some decent gear. :D

I only got to play for about three hours the entire holiday weekend, but my wizard is in the low 20s in Act 2 - just finished with the oasis. Finally picked up a decent wizardly off-hand, too.

I don't think I'll use anybody except the templar when I play solo with the wizard. The other two helpers are both squishies and the templar does a reasonable resemblance of a tank.

7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hell, I use the Templar on my Barbarian tweaked out with his heal buffs. Oddly enough I played D2 the same way, I kept the first merc throughout the whole game too.

8. ethics

That's a miss for me. I am one of those that wants to be excited by rare drops not desensitized by Act3. Also, three (technically 4) colors? Blues should have been MUCH more rare, yellows should be like Legendaries and legendaries should be like sets. Just mho.

At least make it an option to have one or the other. I've died plenty of times when I wanted to move and I just stood there firing.

9. SixofNine

There is a "move" command that I think is not bound to any keys by default. I set mine to something like Ctrl-z but haven't internalized it yet, which doesn't help when I'm surrounded by mobs (thanks again, Mr. Templar!) and my left clicks to reach that tantalizingly close health pot simply fire off my signature spell.

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I've not had nearly as much time to play as I would like to have, but I am very much enjoying the time I do get to play. I think overall, Bliz hit a homerun and the wait was worth it.

I rolled a Monk and that's all I've been using. Would like to try other classes (and I will), but time does not allow for that right now in my life. My Monk is currently LVL 26 or 27 running ACT III and I have not died once. Which leads me to believe that I've either hit upon the right combination of gear and skills, or the game is too easy at Normal level. I hear it gets much harder in Hell and Inferno, but I'm not having any problems whatsoever and I'm using the Enchantress! (gonna give the Templar another try though)

One thing I have found useful is if you hold down the SHIFT key while fighting, your character will stay in one spot. Helps when wiping out a large group; clear some of them out, then find your way to the next health globe.

11. ethics

What I do recommend though is re-mapping it to space bar. MUCH easier and intuitive.

jimeez likes this.
  12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ugh! Patch day. I get a few precious hours each week to play, and the window available to me is closed!

13. Copzilla

Blizzard... such chumps.

14. Copzilla

Finished Normal Mode last night. It's pretty easy, really. Diablo himself wasn't even much problem, after playing WOW. It's just "don't stand in fire" type of stuff. The effects of attacks are very close, like "Oh look, a rune just appeared under me, that can't be good." Move away, and BLAMMO a meteor hits. Oh well. See a monster with "summoner" in its name and you know it's probably a good idea to kill it first.

And the scenery looks recycled from WOW, some of it. I definitely noticed some striking similarities to some WOW endzone instances, particularly Sunwell.

15. Copzilla

Oh, and Diablo "better go drop your vortex off", thanks for the practice, Lich King.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Blizz broke out the ban hammer yesterday and thousands were nailed for cheating, botting, and running unauthorized modifications to the game client. The tears are delicious. :D

17. SixofNine

Looks like the real money auction house is open, too.

18. Copzilla

I rerolled a wizard and it is a MUCH better toon than the monk. I can't keep the monk alive two-handing weapons in Nightmare, and the book on it is to go to a sword and board, which is very much NOT a monk. The wizard is soft, but it can kite very effectively, and that's how I'm dominating the mobs. Get the DPS up nicely, use the Templar tank and go to work.

19. SixofNine

Wiz picks up some great AoE, too. Reminds me of a WoW frost mage.

Edit: damned iPad autocorrect!

20. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have my Barb around lvl 37 in at 1 of nightmare, dual wielding spears he's a juggernaut on roids.
    My Witchdoctor I'm still on normal in act 2, dps machine with a thin skin.
    My Monk I'm only around lvl 16 still
    I have a wizard but haven't got past lvl 6