1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

desktop lockdown 98se

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Violet1966, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I had a situation this morning here. My daughter got to the copmputer and deleted a file which had digital camera pictures in it. I have the option to use norton's recycle bin protection but I didn't have it enabled so the file is gone since it was too big for the recycle bin. No biggie because thankfully, there wasn't that much going back that far in it. I don't want this to happen again though.

Does anyone know of a nice program to disable deletion of certain folders or lock down the desktop?

Or should I just use the norton's recycle bin protection?

I don't want something that's a resource hog if possible and for now I'm just using password protected screensaver.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't expect this to happen to often, but if it ever does, I want to be prepared.

2. Violet1966

I've come across this one and it looks promising. Anyone use it? http://www.dilawri.com/software/sysprotect/

Edit: This program is not what I'm looking for. I installed it and found that I can get the same thing from password protected screensaver pretty much, except that this program will always be active after a reboot. If someone was smart enough to reboot the comp with password protected screensaver, they could get in before the screensaver kicks in so this program would be better but it's not what I need.

I want something that you can set permissions to certain things like folders and stuff. So it might not be best to be asking for a desktop lockdown program. That's not exactly what I'm looking for.

3. IamZed

IamZed ...

You may increase the recycle bin to as large as you want. Other than that I can think of no sane recourse for protecting yourself except protecting the ability to empty that bin.

4. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but with 9x operating systems there is VERY VERY little security.

About the only thing you can do is setup a NT 4.0 (I have only used NT 4) is to setup a Domain server PDC, and use System Policy Editor and create a system policy that restricts the desktops and locks them down.

Of course of a 9x box doesn't log into the domain, then they can do whatever they want.

That's just one idea.

5. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Oh another possibility is GOBACK. If something get;s deleted, just revert the drive.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Goback is AWESOME!

7. Violet1966

Thanks guys. I wanted to do this simply and just have something as security just in case. She's young and doesn't do this much. it just happened out of no where and I think I'll go with the protected recycle bin in nortons and up the size it can hold.

What I was looking for is like a program where you can set rules to certain items and take away the ability to delete. Don't want to have to log on different users or anything like that.

Well thank you all so much and I just have to be more careful and up the recycle bin and protect it I think. She doesn't know how to do much more then drop and drag and when she does know more, she gets the old comp to play on. Just have to watch her a bit closer from now on. I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't pictures. Good thing they were just a few but still....can't get them back. Thank you all again :)

8. Violet1966

I think I have a solution that will work in the same situation and not have to hog resources or be too complex. I'm just going to store the important files in the c drive somewhere and create a shortcut to the folders on the desktop. This way if she ever did this again, she'd only be deleting the shortcuts instead of the actual folders :)

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I don't know about 98SE. I know there are ways to do this in Linux with permissions or in an NT variant...

10. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

can't you just make your picture files read only? would that stop them from being recycled?

if you're looking to upgrade your OS, in XP pro you can protect pretty much whatever you want to. i got a copy at a computer show for $150----a full OEM version.

11. Violet1966

Yeah one day I'll do the xp thing. Just don't think it will like my celeron 600 here too much. Will get a new computer and then get it. Till then I'm just gonna never let this happen again. I password protected the screen saver and she can't figure that out. She don't know what she's doing at all so I'm not afraid that she'll know to reboot and catch windows before the screen saver comes on, to mess everything up. LOL It was just one of those things that happens once in a blue moon and I don't want it to happen again. If my recycle bin was set higher, then it wouldn't even be an issue. I am using the shortcut method until we get a new computer and get xp. And will add a few more eyes behind my back ;)

Thanks guys. Scott that's the way I'm gonna go with xp. I think I have to anyway? I have 98se update on 95...full install and skip the 95 with just verifying 95 ownership. But like would I be able to buy an XP upgrade cd and then upgrade from 98se upgrade? I don't think so huh?

12. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Vi, I'm going hunting... I've got an idea, something I'd heard about, but since I've never had to do it I need to go find the info. I'll check back soon...

13. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

you can only upgrade from 98, 98SE ans ME, but i don't know if that's full versions or not. i'm sure someone here will know :).

14. Sunriser13

OK, Violet, I'm back! ;)

I had to check whether or not the Policy Editor would do what you need done, and it appears it does. Here's a good page on its many applications: <u>Using Poledit: Policy Editor to help secure Windows 95/98 computers</u>

To install the Windows 9x Policy Editor on a Windows 9x machine perform the following:

1. Start the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet (Start - settings - control panel - add/remove programs)

2. Click Windows Setup tab

3. Click Have Disk

4. Click the Browse button and select the Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit folder on the Windows 98 CD-ROM (the Windows 98 resource kit).

5. Click OK

6. Check the "System Policy Editor" box and click Install

7. Close the Add/Remove control panel applet box

The System Policy Editor will now be available under Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Policy Editor.

To configure a standalone Windows-based computer to use system policies, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type poledit, and then click OK.

3. In System Policy Editor, click Open Registry on the File menu.

4. Double-click the Local Computer icon, then the Network icon, and then double-click the Update icon.

5. Click the Remote Update check box, and then click Manual in the Update Mode box. In the Path box, type the path and file name for your system policy file. You can place this file in any folder on the hard disk. Click OK.

6. On the File menu, click Save. On the File menu, click New File.

7. Select the system policy settings you want to use.

8. On the File menu, click Save As. Save the file with the name and path you used in step 5.

NOTE: If you try to save a file with an extension other than .pol, you receive the error message "An error occurred writing the registry. The file cannot be saved." Therefore, if you specified a file name with an extension other than .pol in step 5, save the file with a .pol extension in step 8, quit System Policy Editor, and then rename the file to match the file name you specified in step 5. Restart Windows.

9. Quit System Policy Editor, and then restart Windows.

I hope this will help you... :)

*Edit* I just wanted to remind you to be careful... you could wind up locking yourself out, too!!

15. Sunriser13

16. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

XP can be installed from any full or upgraded W98 or ME system. I recommend the clean install as linked to above.

17. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Good program I use on the pc's at school. Had to find something to lock 8th graders out, and it's pretty cool. http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/

Of course the really simply way to lock your child out would be to engage the screensaver as soon as you leave the pc, and password protect it.

18. Violet1966

Oh you guys are great! Thanks sun....gonna look into poledit. Till any other decisions are made, the password screensaver seems simple enough. Hubby don't know much about computers so can't make things too complicated for him too ;)

19. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

How, umm, creative :D are your eigth graders? There are methods I know to get around most of these things. Just make sure you don't tell them about safe mode. Also I learned that MSIE is so unstable it can crash and bring down everythign with it and only explorer and systray will come back from the dead. If you make them use a non-standard browser, then it can crash but won't bring down explorer with it...

20. Violet1966

Well I finally found the time to sit and read that web site and that program is just unbelievable!!! Who would know that 95 and 98 already come with it? It's like other programs that people pay a lot of money for and they don't even know they might already own it.

What I would need from this program though, won't be worth the extra drain on resources. The web site says this....

"Desktop
    These items allow setting some restrictions to Active Desktopthe ability to make the Windows Desktop act like a web page, with HTML text and graphics appearing on the desktop and within Explorer and My Computer views. Active Desktop gives the option of single-clicking rather than double-clicking to run icons. (Personally, I dont like Active Desktop, as its a big drain on system performance, and a distraction, but Im a Windows conservative). With these items, you can turn it off, or leave it on, but restrict changes. A nice feature of the Active Desktop Items setting disables deletion of desktop iconstoo bad theres no similar setting in the Win95 Poledit or classic desktop options."

Well you can only prevent the deletion of desktop icons if you are running the active desktop. Active desktop is a drain. It's a shame that you can't use it for the classic desktop like he says above. Doesn't make sense :(

Thank you Sun for the trouble and now that I know that all these options exist, I can turn to this in the future with the kids :)

All I really want is something that won't let you delete the icons on the desktop. Seems simple enough you would think but it's really not. LOL Even something that you can't delete something unless you know the password!!! Why not? Sounds simple right? LOL ;)