1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop Help

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Nov 13, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

My turn to seek some professional help (get it?).

I've had this on my desktop on my wife's pc for a while and since I do not use it much, I've never given it much thought. Anyway, this happened somehow and I can't get the damn desktop back.

I can see the start button and do ALT-TAB and get in to apps if I wanted to but this thing has replaced my wallpaper. Any ideas?
  2. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

RIGHT CLICK on the desk top. PROPERTIES.

can you see the menu icons at the bottom?
  3. ethics

Properties gives me this window:
  4. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

click on desktop.
  5. ethics

K, I get this:
  6. mikeky

mikeky Member

Right click on the Taskbar and look under Toolbars; uncheck the offending item.
  7. ethics

Unchecked and re-checked and nada. All four desktops are showing:
  8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Try changing the deshtop theme. That might remove the stubborn graphics as it did with me re a similar problem.
  9. ethics

Yep, done that also.

Well, at least I feel better that it wasn't a simple solution. :)
  10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Boot up with the WinXP CD-ROM, format and reinstall. I guarantee it will fix that problem. :)
  11. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Go to control panel/folder options and uncheck common tasks.
    Check use windows classic folders.
  12. ethics

Tried that, but couldn't? Logged in as another user and it's fine.
  13. Allene

Allene Registered User

Leon, this is just amazing! There must have been something in the air this morning. I woke up at 4:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep so parked myself in front of the computer and started messing around with it. I don't recommend trying to make changes to your system that early in the morning. Having gotten tired of going to Favorites every time I wanted Google, I thought I'd put a shortcut icon on my desktop, but being somewhat bleary-eyed, I managed to do something else altogether and ended up with an entire screen with "Google" on it and my desktop icons spread over that. My regular theme was still there, underneath "Google." I tried everything to get rid of it, and just when I was about to e-mail you for help, I decided to try to do it again. The system immediately flashed a message telling me I couldn't do that because I'd already done it. Then it proceeded to give me a step-by-step outline of everything that needed to be done to undo it. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the holes we fall into could be solved in such a manner?

14. ethics

Uhm, how come my system didn't tell me anything? I like your system better. ;)
  15. Allene

Allene Registered User

My system is probably getting down to my level! ;) Yours expects more of you.