1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Democrat? Republican? Who cares?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

"The devil is in the details."

Many people spend a great deal of time debating which party can best run this country, the Democratic Party or the Republican Party? I think the wrong question is being debated.

Americans don't care who is in control of the government; they care about issues that affect their lives directly.

Americans want honest officeholders, people with integrity who can be relied upon to make difficult decisions that are in the best interests of all of us, not just in the best interests of the "special interests".

We want clean water and air and places for the wild animals to thrive so that our children can grow up in a healthy environment.

We want a reasonably stable economy, with effective regulatory oversight that is not too restrictive upon business.

The people of this country want good schools that teach the critical thinking and basic skills that the next generation will need to keep this country humming along. Good schools mean good buildings as well as good teachers.

We want to walk the streets of our cities, our hometowns, our neighborhoods, without fear of being mugged, raped, killed. We want to be secure in our homes and our possessions.

Americans want sound, useful public institutions and infrastructure; hospitals, libraries, fire houses, police stations, highways, airports. We want the things in this country to work and we want the people who make them work and protect us to be paid commensurate with their responsibility.

Our citizens want us to wield our superpower status with the wisdom that awesome power requires.

We want reasonable taxes and, more importantly, we want to know that our taxes are being used reasonably and responsibly.

We want the government to help the truly needy, the destitute, the helpless ones. We want everyone else to be responsible for their own situations.

Americans don't want Democrats, or Republicans, or Independents, or Greens, or any other "party" in control of the government.

What we want is for the government to be in control and to address the issues that affect all of us. The debate about <u>who</u> should control needs to cease. The debate about control of our future must begin.

"The devil is in the details."

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Now that is a great statement, Stevent! :thumbsup:

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

I JUST gave him a buck, for cryin' outloud. A guy could go broke giving approval points to good stuff like that. (wink)

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

stevent for Congress (I'm not joking).

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

My god Stevent!

You, sir, are a political Centrist.

Welcome to logic-ville. Population - not very many

:thumbsup: