1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delete Post

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Greg, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

Tip: click inside this box to load the editor

(The comment above was posted by the portal after I clicked the reply button from the portal. There doesn't seem to be any way I can delete this post. I guess that will probably all change when the new forum software is installed and configured. Meanwhile I can see no way to undo this. I had previously thought we could delete our replies within the edit window time, perhaps a dozen or 20 minutes. I guess not.)

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

20 minutes? Nope. Try 5. After that, it's locked from editing and deletion. And no, it won't be changed.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Sorry. I hit the reply by mistake and then immediately tried to delete the post with no success. It's a shame to mess up the topic. Please go ahead and delete the off topic posts.

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

Simply FYI:

Members used to be able to delete their posts. Often, if not all ways, within the same period permitted to edit at any given point in time. That time limit varied for certain reasons in the past. However, within approximately the past 12 months Biker decided that it would be best that deletions should not be permitted as before.

The result isn't the end of the world.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Exactly! I know I messed up a thread around here the other day. I posted without replying to it, but all things considered, it was one of my least damaging mistakes over the past two weeks. I didn't get any threatening emails from Tom either, so I doubt he is wasting too much time on our little mishaps.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

I knew that. I'm not going to whine about it. I'm sorry I posted a reply by mistake and I'm sorry we're not trusted to fix our own mistakes. It amuses me to think of all the harm a person could do by posting something and then deleting it 4.9 minutes later.

I tried to delete my unintentional reply right away. I'm pretty sure you couldn't delete a post even 10 seconds after making it. That's very generous to allow us 5 minutes to fix our typographical errors.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'll check again, but edits and deletions should be set to 5 minutes. That is set in stone, and will not be changed.