1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defanging Males

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by cmhbob, Jul 29, 2014.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

There was a great turn of a phrase in Leon's gun thread, and I didn't want to derail a good thread, so I started this one.

Even though we've sold the RV, I'm still a member of several Fulltime RV groups on Facebook. 2 nights ago, a lady there asked this question:
    Again, this is a group for families that are or are thinking of going full time on the road, so there has to be some sense of adventure. From her profile, the poster looks to be from Alabama, and was in Maine when she posted the question.

Anyone want to guess that the overall opinion was?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

3. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

There was an article a while back in the NY Times about how a mother let her kid ride the subway by herself. The responses were as expected, with most being shocked that a mother can be so abusive. (This was with the mother secretly following from a few feet behind even.)

4. cmhbob

Pretty much. There were over 130 posts the last time I looked at it. A couple of us were wholly supportive of the idea, linking to Free Range Kids, etc. There was one nervous Nellie who "has friends and relatives in law enforcement" and went on and on about how terrible an idea it was. It was ridiculous. People were suggesting locking the tent from the inside, and putting up trail/game cameras, or baby monitors, or leaving the RV door unlocked (but that's dangerous too! :banghead-72:). I was just dumbfounded.
    or
    and then came the voice of reason

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I grew up in a different era. I lived in a northern industrial city of 100K until I was 13. I don't remember our house ever being locked. We were expected to tell our parents where we were going and when we would be back but we were pretty much free range. We roamed the woods and stayed outside every night until dark.

But I will admit I do not KNOW how different an era it is. The part I know is different is the media. We have all heard "if it bleeds it leads". The news media is no longer interested in reporting facts. Their interest lies in ratings and ratings apparently come from scaring the hell out of everybody. Were crimes under reported in the 50-60's time frame. I have heard that lurid stories were not reported or played down for the good of the community, the image of the community.

So are the horror stories that would lead us to worry about the kid in the tent the norm, the norm enough for us to lead scared lives and over protect our children? I tend to think they are but will not blame any parent of an 11 year old from wanting to protect him. Does the permission change if the camper is a girl?

I like kids. I like to tease them and talk to them in restaurants, often helping their parents. But I tend to do less of that these days. I would not want the parents to worry that I am a threat. Am I believing the news too much, are the parents? I don't have the answers. I don't know if the threat is actually more than in the 50's or not. I do know that our kids are missing out on a lot of growing up, on learning away from Mom's skirts, on learning to be independent . It is no wonder they turn to computers, tablets and phones, their choices are not that wide as they were in my childhood.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Allene, ethics and cmhbob like this.
  6. cmhbob

Great post Rick. And you're absolutely right about the media. The nervous Nellie on FB refused to believe that the numbers are down, and practically told me that it didn't matter anyway, because 99% of the crimes don't make it to the media.

Is it too late to fix anything? Hell, what IS the fix? How do you convince parents that's safer out there than it seems?

And how can we get the media to change what they're doing?

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am soooo thankful I grew up in a different time. I used to say place but Ukraine is almost where we are. They want to be so much like us/US that they are blind in what they are getting.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

When I was a kid my family and aunt/uncle's family camped in the High Sierras, and we though nothing about me, sis and two cousins sleeping under the stars in our sleeping bags about 100 feet away from the main camp.

Note this was in an area where bears do not habit, although there were a few rattlers. You would want to look in your shoes before putting them on! :)

But we never had any concern about people.