1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Debian Wheezy 7.1

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Thought I'd see what all the hoopla was about and downloaded the ISO to do a Live CD with the intention of installing it on the notebook.

Got the DVD made, booted up into the Live version and it flat refused to detect both the network card and wireless card. Intel graphics drivers are a full version point off and that's about where I stopped and ripped the disc out of the system.

Don't see what all the excitement is about, but I fully expected something better than a half assed attempt to detect what's on a system during bootup.

I wasn't impressed. Especially for something that was just released.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Dude, have you tried ANY of the Linux builds that worked for you?

3. Biker

Mint works as did Fedora. Just didn't care for it, especially when it came to fine tuning how it looked on the desktop. Going to give Zen a shot later this week.

Of course, VL is on the notebook and has been from the day I slapped the second drive in it. We're working like crazy on the next release and the pre-betas are very promising (using the latest right now).

That's probably why I'm so spoiled when it comes to fine tuning the desktop. You aren't locked into anything out of the box, and fine tuning is rather easy with VL.

4. Biker

Oh. The only other one that flat refused to work was SUSE.

Everything else worked. And if you go back and read 'em, I did say that Mint and Fedora worked rather well. :p

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Your initial angst was that it didn't. You gave Mint a shitty review for it.

6. Biker

Yup. From last year when it was filling syslog with error messages at an exponential rate.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I honestly thought this was the name of a respiratory disease until I noticed where the thread was located.

cmhbob likes this.