1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death sucks

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Tuesday night, my wife's grandmother died in her sleep. Completely unexpected. It's been a wrenching week. It's amazing how someone you've only known four years can leave such a big hole in your heart, when they're gone.

And did you know there is no end to the different number of ways a 3-year-old can ask "Daddy, why is Memom sleeping? When will she wake up?" And the 18-month-old was "searching" her house. She knew all the family was there, but she also knew someone special was missing.

That lady loved those little girls like you wouldn't believe, and they loved her, too.

And now, after the funeral, today, we get back to my mother-in-law's house and find out the shuttle disintegrated.

Death sucks.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

My condolences, man. :(

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

Steven, man - Im deeply saddened to hear of this loss.

My heart goes out to you and yours. Please let your friends and compatriots here know what we can do for you and yours during such a difficult time.

:(

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Thanks. We're adjusting. She was briefly ill, like a cold, you know? Maybe I should back up and note that she's been taking care of our two girls from day 1; it doesn't get any better than having your wife's grandmother watch your kids during the day, you know?

So, anyway, she was sick for a couple of days, just feeling weak, no other real symptoms. I took Monday and Tuesday off to stay at home with the girls; Wednesday my wife stayed home. I hadn't even turned on the lights in my office when the phone rang.

Damn tough news. She really loved those girls, you know? And, we found out from talking to her close friends yesterday and today, she was really looking forward to the third great-grandchild. She told here friends "I'll have a job for at least another five years!" Of course, she didn't let on to us how excited she was, so it was bittersweet to learn of it.

It was just sudden and unexpected. She'd always been a strong woman, never getting sick......then this.

5. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Ah, damn. I'm so sorry, Steven.

Yes, death certainly does suck. :(

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Ah, Steven. I'm so sorry. At least she did get to see them and have them for awhile.

8. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Awww, Steven. My most heartfelt sympathies to you, your wife and family.

9. IamZed

IamZed ...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. It would have been nice to deal with without this new tragedy but sometimes life just tests you.
    Yes Death Sucks.

10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I'm sorry for your loss stevent but more sorry that you have to try and explain it to the children in a way they can understand. It must be hard. At least she went painlessly in her sleep. Not that that makes it easier but some people actually hope to go that way. I know I do. God rest her soul and will say a prayer for your family :(

11. Valkyre

Valkyre Crazy Viking Woman

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Steven. :(

12. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

My sympathies go out to you and your family Stevent. I am sorry for your loss... :(

BDD...

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

So sorry. Stevent. Condolences to the family.

You did not mention her5 age, but I assume she was on in years. Sounds like she had a good life, surrounded by loving family, and went peacefully and painlessly. I hope you can get a little comfort from that.

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

My condolences, Stevent :( I agree, death sucks.

15. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Stevent.

I know it's of no consolation, but;
    I gather this wonderful woman was enjoying a rewarding time in her life, felt a bit under the weather, and peacefully died in her sleep.
    That's the way I want to go.
    (Unlike some of my family that endured several months of pain that morphine couldn't control.)

My thoughts are with you and your family during this time of loss.

Regards,

16. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Hang in there, buddy. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Death is never easy. Somehow, I think in the grand sceheme of things, it was never meant to be easy, so that we go through all the hell we go through, to help us all realize what an awesome world this is when the people we love so much, are alive. BUt, is it not just as awesome when someone is gone, that we then take time to carry on what we have learned, what we will never forget, and the realization that at some point, somewhere down the road, the paths will again cross? Kind of deep for a 3 year old, but still . . . Take care.