1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death Penalty or Life for Snipers?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

The Feds have priority and if they choose they can prosecute first and then the after they are done the states can move forward and prosecute them if they so desire.

But in McVeigh's case it had no effect as he was sentenced to death and executed by the Feds. However, if he had been sentenced to imprisonment instead of death by the Feds, Oklahoma then could have moved forward and tried him and sought the death penalty. I believe they considered that option in the Terry Nichols case but don't recall the specifics and what and how they reached whatever ultimate decision they decide on.

So in the case of the snipers you have the <i>potential</i> of them being tried separately in Maryland, Virginia, Alabamba and Federally and wherever else they are accussed of killing someone or committing some other related crime.

Right now the big question is who should and will get the first right to prosecute them among the states if the Feds pass in favor of the states.

One variation and example of what you raise and probably one of the most famous was the Rodney King case. The four police officers were acquitted of all charges but one where the jury hung in the state trial. The Feds then stepped in and prosecuted them again under civil rights violations charges and two of the four were found guilty and sent to prison for 30 months. (Legally proper but in the "spirit" of double jeopardy a great injustice.)
  2. pupowski

pupowski Banned

I'm OK with the death penalty in extreme cases like this, or 911, but I think a life sentence in miserable conditions would be better. Punishment so foul that others cringe at the thought of it has more deterrent value.
  3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

This may sound quite extreme coming from me. But um, how about a firing squad, a single shot with the 223 caliber bullets they used? We can leave a note that says, You were god, now meet your maker. Sorry, if that offends anyone.
  4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

You know what Haywire, i've always wondered why they always bother to sterilize the needle and wipe alcohol on the spot of the puncture for someone who they're going to kill...
  5. Perry Stroika

Perry Stroika Member

Do it the Russian way. Put them in jail and tell them the bullet will be coming any time. Then see them pace the floor, pray, cry, and be in agony.

Much fun.
  6. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

If they are found guilty in a fair and impartial trial, execute them.

State and feds both need to start emptying the death row cellblocks. The worst go first.
  7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"You know what Haywire, i've always wondered why they always bother to sterilize the needle and wipe alcohol on the spot of the puncture for someone who they're going to kill..."

Surely not. Hard to believe. Thats so dumb its laughable. Do they ask them what medical fund they are insured with in case of infection?
  8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Capital punishment is a barbaric way to handle criminals. I do not support it under any circumstances. Lowering youself to their level by killing them achieves nothing worthwhile and is a morally bankrupt way of dealing with the issue of major crime.
  9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't disagree, ditch, but I don't support it for different reasons. My main gripe is we tend to send the <a href="http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/99nov/9911wrongman.htm">wrong people</a> in to death row.
  10. jamming

jamming Banned

That's cause we know all you Oznians are decendants of Convicts, that you cannot be pro death penalty. ;) However, Ted Bundy a Serail Killer who preyed upon young women was put to death, there was no question as to his guilt. We didn't lower ourselves to his level as he physically beat his surprised victims to death, in some cases up to four in one incident. We had a Jury of 12 of his peers ajudicate his guilt based upon the court process. The after his appeals ran out he was taken to the Florida Death House and seated on Old Sparky, the electric chair. When the penalty of that court was carried out.

Lowered ourselves heck, we took one evil jerk and kept him from ever worrying anyone again. With no chance for escaping from the jail he was incarcerated at.
  11. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

You mean like he escaped from once before and went on to kill again after his escape?
  12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Nailing the wrong person is one of the criticisms that is fairly levelled at capital punishment ethics I agree. However the same risk is run by penalising criminals in any fashion..there is always the risk that they were innocent. There are some tragic examples of the wrong people being executed. I haven't read your link yet but will be.
    I dont think killing criminals is the way a civilised society should handle its "bad apples". We should be above that "solution". Its a quick fix, a politically popular solution. We don't have the right to kill anyone. And thats what capital punishment amounts to ...legalised killling. I know all the arguments about how they dont deserve to live, its a cost to the tax payer to keep them alive etc etc. None of those arguments justify a civilised society lowering itself to the behavioural level of the criminal. Keeping these bad examples locked up at our expense is the cost the rest of us bear for behaving in a civilised, morally responsible way.
    There will always be ways that society can change in an attempt to prevent crime. No I am not blaming society over the criminal and we will never eradicate crime from society. But that doesn't mean we are above seeing how our current laws and institutions can change in an attempt to correct the flaws they may have that can create an environment conducive to crime. For example is it not possible that there is a case for gun laws to be altered when dramas such as the Columbine shootings occured?
    I should add that fear of escape from jail is no justification for killing the criminal. I hate the bastards for what they did just as much as anyone. Its the solution we disagree on.
  13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"That's cause we know all you Oznians are decendants of Convicts, that you cannot be pro death penalty. "

Jim, Some of my favourite relatives wore rope for a necklace. Couldn't afford anything better.