1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death Penalty or Life for Snipers?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Nov 3, 2002.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

What should the penalty be for the Snipers?
    Death or Life in Prison. How do you support your argument for your opinion?

My Opinion,is death for both in that I never would have to worry about the two of them again.

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Kill 'em

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Death! I'm sure the anti-death penalty clowns will have the nerve to protest once it is finally their time to die. They are guilty, and there is no doubt. Why waste the tax dollars with silly trials and imprisonment?

5. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

The penalty for anyone who takes another life without good reason such as self defense, defending the life of another, etc., should be...

<li> Tried
    <li> Found guilty beyond a resonable doubt
    <li> Given one appeal
    <li> And receive a bullet between the eyes

Piss on all of this "humane" execution bullshit. Costs too much and the scum isn't worth a penny more than it needs to cost to send their ass straight to Hell.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Death to the "Father" and I would need to know the roll of the kid before making a judgement,

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I don't have any moral problems with executing people who are given a fair trial and as a result are given the death penalty.

But the real world fact is that functionally there is no such thing as the death penalty in this country. Almost everyone who receives the death penalty now is going to die of old age before their sentence is carried out.

Two short examples. In California since the death penalty was reinstituted about 25 years ago over 600 people have been sentenced to death row and 10 have been executed.

In the Federal system is has been about 35 years as I recall and although I don't currently know how many people are on Federeal Death Row only two have been executed in that approximately 35 years.

Very short version is that as a practical matter we should do away with the death penalty.

Hell, most of the people of foreign citizenship who commit a capital crime in the U.S. just need to get out of Dodge and into either their own country or third party country and they won't be extradited because most other countries don't recognize the death penalty and therefore won't extradict someone to face the music.

There is a time that the moral and legal arguments for either against or for capital punishment aside, you have to be practical.

8. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Normally I would say death, because I do support the death penalty - but in this case, I say life with no parole for both the step dad and the kid.

9. ShinyTop

Why, Misu? Are there mitigating circumstances that cause you to keep them from the death penalty?

10. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Actually, yes - the fact that more and more unsolved cases are being linked to them.

I think right now, they're worth more ALIVE to the families of all their victims. The longer they remain alive, the greater the chance that they might fess up and admit to shooting some people that police haven't yet figured out are connected to them.

My wanting to keep them alive has nothing to do with them. To me, they're animals - they're lower than animals, they're demons. I don't have any feelings towards them at all, neither hate nor pity. I just see them as a means for bringing closure to what might be a few hundred loved ones of victims yet to be linked to them.

11. ShinyTop

I see, but since death penalties often take 10 plus years to carry out I think we will have the opportunity to find out more crimes they committed.

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Hey, in this country 10 years is the fast track for executions. You have a lot more closer to 20 years or more. In fact, relying soleley on memory, about four or five years ago the Supreme Court had to take before them the issue of a man about to be executed who had been on death row for about 26 years.

13. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

General Population, Life. That would last about the day maybe.

14. Coot

If they're tried, convicted and sentenced in Federal Court, they're toast in five years. The Feds fast track the appeals and it's over. States on the other hand with a lot more cases and less resources generally take 15 to 20 years to erase those sentenced. Which is why it is better if the Feds try them first and let the states go after them...if they choose to while their death sentences are appealed at the federal level.

15. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I am not very familar with the Federal system. But I do know that they have only executed two guys in about the past 35 years. And one of them, McVeigh waived all appeals. That seems an apparent contradiction to what you are saying.

What is the story?

16. Coot

McVeigh may have 'waived' them, but the result wouldn't have been much different. The federal government has a stated policy of fast tracking the appeals process in death penalty cases. Very few death penalty cases are handled at the federal level as most are the result of murders handled in one state.

17. jamming

jamming Banned

Go Florida!!! Poor ol'Sparky was put out to pasture, so now we given them the needle. At least Ted Bundy got to meet Ol' Sparky before he was retired, on the night of his execution we turned our lights out to make sure Ol'Sparky had enough juice. I care not for the retribution argument, or injustice argument, but for the fact that Ted Bundy will not be escaping or killing anyone any more.

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I just did a quick check. As of June of this year there were 26 prisoners on Federal death row. Those there were sentenced at various times beginning in 1993. So some of the prisoners have been Federal death row almost 10 years.

Only a total of two have been executed since 1963. And as I said one of them waived all appeals and it still took four years for him to be executed. The other man was on death row for eight years.

So, again your claim that those sentenced to die under the Federal system are "toast in five years" does not appear to be supported by the statistics.

19. Coot

Well, if that's really the case, then I gotta get better sources ;) Of course, I'm curious as to what the various state's claims and desire to prosecute might have on the delays. In the McVeigh case, Oklahoma backed off from prosecution in lieu of the Feds. Did this have anything to do with this? Is my presumption that someone sentenced under federal law can have his or her sentencing date interrupted by state mandates?

20. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Give them life in prison or the death penalty (doesn't matter). Put them in a cell in solitary confinement with a gun and a box of bullets.