1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead iphone 6

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by dsl987, Feb 28, 2017.

1. dsl987

dsl987 Member

So it seems I managed to kill my iphone 6 when it was accidentally set down in a very small puddle of water that had spilled on my nightstand. I got a used one of Craigslist and managed to restore everything OK. I've tried all the tricks like putting in a bag of rice to dry it out and not a glimmer of life over the last couple of weeks.
    So question is, is this thing worth anything, or do I just chunk the damn thing? I'm assuming repairs would be costly to get it working again, but is it worth anything to somebody for spare parts?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Doubtful. And the "bag of rice" trick is pretty much an urban legend. It's better to attempt to open things up and just let it air dry.

Arc likes this.
  3. Arc

Arc Full Member

Air is your friend and the potential savior for your iPhone 6.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

So sorry to hear that happened! My sister was cleaning her bathroom and had her iPhone in the pocket of one of those long cardigans with pockets at an angle. It fell into a toilet full of a cleaner containing bleach. That was the end of her phone! No amount of air drying would ever work.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

swappa.com

6. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Hehe - the funny thing is, right after I got that Iphone 6 I also dropped it in the toilet! I fished it out right away, dried it off and it worked fine, right up until it sat in that tiny little puddle on the nightstand.

To the other posters, I guess I'll open it up and see what happens, but it's been probably a month since it happened, so I figured it would have dried out by now.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Allene likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I think it was the bleach that killed my sister's phone. It was fried!

dsl987 likes this.
  8. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I was looking for something else but if you wanna play with smart phones, particularly Apple, get a basic Apple tool kit including a sucker attachment that you lick, then slap it on your screen to pull it off. Then you prize the edge clips and pop it open. Watch those cables and be prepared with a magna-lamp to see the itty bitty parts. I would just open it so the insides have exposure to air. I've seen at least one smartphone recover after only air exposure. The tools are cheep, cheep, cheep. Get 'em on eBay.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Suzy, I didn't know about the tool kit. That would probably work if someone spilled some water on the phone, but not bleach.

10. Susan Addams

Was it bleach spilled on that phone? Like what? You couldn't find the red hot fuming nitric acid so you settled for bleach? LOLOL!!! :D :D :D

Next time just set it under your real wheel and then back out of your parking spot! ;) LOL! :D

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Hold on, Suzy! It was my sister, not me. She was cleaning a toilet at her house, and her phone fell out of her pocket into the toilet. The cleaner was heavy on bleach, so that was the end of her phone! :(

12. Susan Addams

Haha, LOL! Tell sis to use reverse in her SUV next time! LOLOL! Jeez, I'm home alone tonight, okay, tired, but I wanna go dancing! :) Maybe I should have postponed dumping constructo-guy until Monday... But jeez, how do you dump a guy on Christmas Day?

Like ,"Hey honey, Merry Christmas, oh and by the way f*** off?"

But constructo-guy has been gone for a week now.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm having trouble keeping up with those guys in your life! ;)

14. Susan Addams

Oh Allene, he's been the only guy in my life for 2-3 months. And the way our relationship turned there has been no guy in my life for the last few weeks. Okay my dad and brother but that's not the same thing. I should have been prepared and had a hot standby boyfriend for when my parting with my construction worker bit his inevitable adieu. Well actually I kicked his ass out but let's not be crude. ;) I need not lecture you about another bus coming along every 20 minutes, more fish in the ocean, yada yada. I still have my youthful good looks, I still work out at the gym, I can still run fast but slow down when the occasion is right. And anyway I have to pack today to visit mom and dad and see bro again tomorrow. It will be fun staying in my girlhood bedroom, stuffed teddy bears and all! :) I can catch up with friends who I haven't seen since perhaps last Christmas. I won't have time to miss having a boyfriend. I'll be too busy hugging friends and family! :)

There is all the time in the world to meet men. I'll go out for drinks with my girlfriends after Christmas. You've heard of chumming (fishing term). My girlfriends are chumming the waters for me. They will bring the fish out and the ones who know quality will ask me for a dance! That's when I sniff the pheromones and discover who is right for me. The New Year is a great time for deciding who you will spend it with!

How did we get from broken phones to this convo? ;)

Allene likes this.
  15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Have a wonderful time with your family, Suzy!

Susan Addams likes this.
  16. Susan Addams

Thank you so much Allene! :) And you yours too! :)

Allene likes this.