1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead But Awake: Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Near-death experiences are the most common experience and include seeing a white light, while out-of-body experiences involve serenely observing one's dead body while medics work frantically to resuscitate it. The researchers have founded a charitable trust, Horizon Research, to promote studies in the field.

Out with it, how many people believe that this is the end of the road, while others think that death is just a beginning?

Full story here

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

End of the road.

SM

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

4. Sierra Mike

But there probably is a Hell though, and I'll be married to Barbara Streisand AND Tammy Faye Baker.

SM

5. ethics

Could be worse.

6. Sierra Mike

I don't know how!

SM

7. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

The life we know today will one day come to an end...but that is not the end, just a change.

As our life is a different experience for each of us, so is our death. If you fear it, it will be as an enemy to you. I feared it only until I met it and embraced it, and know ever since, it is not something to fear.

I won't write a volume about it, although I could. I will say that it's certainly not the end of the road...it's a different road.

8. ethics

I'd love to believe that. Wish I had some signs, calls, omens, or anything.

For now, it looks (to me anyway), like the end of the road.

Steve, you ask how it could be worse in hell with Streisand and Tammy Faye?

How about Rosie O'Donell and Rosanne Barr? Catch my drift yet? ;)

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I believe that human consciousness is nothing more than a system of extremely complex chemical reactions. Once those reactions stop, consciousness ends. I wish there were more to it than that because I would love to spend an eternity in Heaven, but I just don't buy it. :)

I often wonder about what it will feel like when I finally die, and what it will be like long after I am gone. Well, where was my consciousness before I was even conceived? Where was it ten thousand years ago? I imagine my thoughts will go back to the same oblivion as before I was conceived.

I know it's a bleak way to think about it, but it was pretty bleak when I learned that there is no such thing as Santa. Most people refuse to accept that when their bodies are expired, so are their minds. Oh well, I guess we shall all see in the near future. If I am right though, we aren't going to be sitting around talking about it! And if you(as in the 95% who believe in an afterlife) are right, you can yell down to Hell, "I told you so!" Just throw me some ice water every once in a while. :)

My friend's dad's heart was stopped for around 2 minutes and 30 seconds while in the OR many years ago. Interestingly, he says he remembers absolutely nothing.

Does anyone remember the movie Flatliners?

10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I am curious, ethics...what exactly are your religious beliefs? I thought you said you were at least spiritual? But you believe death is the end of the road?

11. ethics

I am a compicated entity when it comes to spiritual beliefs and my beliefs are still shaping and shifting.

I am spiritual, I believe there's much more than we can see, feel, hear, and experience. But I also think that the universe is just one large machine that keeps chugging along and needs to make room for more via death. Ecology is a miravle in its own way.

I often hear the argument about "one can not kill energy". Well, if there's nothing that's feeding the physical body, energy dies? I am still in the dark about understanding this one.

12. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Well, there goes my deep research on the re-incarnation thread I was working on...

No wonder I get no interest in this area.

I am a firm believer in many tenets of the Eastern Religions, yet consider myself a Christian as well.

Too bad I am at work and can't respond more thoughally...

Maybe later.

13. Domh

Domh Full Member

Logic dictates that your statement is correct.

'Human Consciousness' is something that only the mental processes of the human brain can create. While there can be a variety of States of Consciousness, when the brains electrical activity stops, so does Consciousness.

Animal Consciousness is a very similar thing to Human Consciousness. I think that only a very few experiements have been done to ascertain whether animals are aware of their own consciousness.

I feel quite strongly that there are more and other 'states of being' besides Consciousness.

I do believe that Life in all forms is connected in some way, that there is a force that moves through and within every living thing, connecting them to one another and to the energy that makes universes expand and contract in an endless pattern.

But that Force (Luke) has nothing to do with Conciousness. It is something that one can be conscious OF, but its 'existence' is beyond the physical and logical world.

When my brain 'bubbles cool', to steal a line from Dickinson, my body is done, but the Force that has been moving through me, during my time as a living thing, continues and moves on in some way.

I only believe these things because they are the least 'defined' way of explaining things I have experienced in my life that cannot be addressed with logic or reasoning.

14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

As a practical matter, I've settled on a liberal denomination of the Christian religion; it's very comforting and uplifting. I don't believe in a Heaven, at least not the one popularized by mainstream Christian religions. Nor do I believe in a Hell.

I do believe that death is not the end of existence of consciousness. Exactly what death brings, I cannot say. I can't even speculate, nor articulate what I would wish it brings, because I haven't formed any precise opinions.

All I know is that my personal belief is that existence continues, separate from the body, after physical death.

<small>I spent a weekend, many years ago, thinking about the ramifications of the opposite: that death is final. It was, quite literally, a terrifying concept, when I fully thought out the implications.</small>

15. ethics

Just seems so unfair. You go through life gathering knowledge, love, hate, wisdow, only to have it buried with your corpse.

16. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Who knows?

17. ethics

No one. My sig here has more than one meaning and could be easily applied to this issue. Unless you were dead for a week and had a way to communicate with the living--say no to John Edwards-- then perhaps.

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

There is a small problem here of semantics. Simply put "clinically" dead but revived isn't exactly the same as stone cold dead can not revive is it? So until we can dig up old Fred and interview him. Well......

19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Death is the end of the road. Simple as that.