1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dazed and confused?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I've been thinking about the declining lack of common sense in this country. Consider:

We tell children that if they break the law, they'll go to jail. But every day, they can see plea bargains, technical mistrials, and rich people with expensive lawyers getting off scott-free.

We tell them drugs and booze are bad, then our popular entertainers and sports figures lead lives of glamor and glitz, all the while flouting that axiom.

We tell children that a solid education is the foundation for their future, while the quality and value of a public school education continues to decline.

We tell our kids that hard work and practical experience are invaluable while the schools are telling them that self-esteem is more important.

We tell them that marriage is good, when the divorce rate approaches 40%.

With all of the conflicting messages that children receive as they grow up, is it any wonder that many of them are dazed and confused, ill-prepared for a world that actually does demand accountability?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Absolutely, and great topic.

I've seen people growing their kids as "friends" without any repercussions to the kid's actions, and being on the same level. I've also seen the other side of the spectrum where the kids are too heavily controlled.

What I tried to do with my daughter is to be somewhere in between. Being a "friend" strips people of being a parent. Being a control freak only sets your kids up for a horrible fall when they will leave you.

Sooooo, in essence, I never taught my daughter any lies about being bad and how the justice system is perfect. I tell her and try to teach her about the rich and how and when they get away with things. I try to tell her about the injustices not only in class sector but every sector. I probably didn't cover EVERYthing that's there to know about and to be patient about but I think I've set up a decent slate for her to use her own brain and not just be anti-authority, but take each issue on a case to case basis.

What else can we, the parents, do?

3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

I blame it on the Liberals....;)

Todays kids need that same thing as yesterdays, discipline.

4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think parents themselves contradict a lot of what they tell their kids.

ex - they tell them drugs are bad, then light up a cig and drink beer and wine.

Kids are like little sponges - even when you think they're not around and listening, they are. When it's too quite and you're actually able to have a conversation with another adult, be very careful what you say, because chances are your conversation is being overheard by one of your kids.

Everything you mentioned, Steven, can be controlled by parents. Parents can controll what school a child goes to, to some extent they can control what the school teaches, they can control what entertainment a child is exposed to, etc. Kids have to be taught the basic stuff first - a kid's world has to be black and white. As they get older, kids learn there are many shades of grey - and that's how life is. It's not a world of dazed and confused people - it's a world of people that understand that life isn't black and white and simple.

5. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Dang, I thought this thread was about one of the worst movies I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.;)

wapu