1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Ramsey on Obamacare

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Copzilla, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Dave Ramsey nails it for this fiscal conservative. Without being all political or emo, this is the hard truth.

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I like Dave Ramsey and what he has to say about personal finance and Obamacare, but his math on Social Security toward the end of that clip is open to debate.

Ramsey and others (including me on certain days :D ) still wouldn't like this because of the removal of individual choice.

Social Security report

3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I don't buy that so much, Brian, because they've been talking about it about to go insolvent forever. And the rate of return is supposedly based on it remaining the same, which it cannot and still survive, because today's elderly are being paid by today's youth, and you know how those numbers are going.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, some of these young people are now complaining about it, and about how we elderly "are getting everything on a platter." Never mind that today's elderly spent many years doing the same thing for those who were elderly at that time. In this country, they took it out of my wages from 1969 until April 2006. It never ever occurred to me to complain about it. The world, it sure has changed!

5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

The 891 calculations that they ran are actually 297 hypothetical taxpayers under three scenarios:

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

The reason for that is because the government spent all of the Social Security taxes collected from "we elderly people" rather than keeping it in a "lock box" so they could pay us from our own contributions.

Here is my plan for fixing Social Security:

1. First of all, if you're such a fucking genius (not you personally Copz, I'm addressing the proverbial "third person") then figure out a better system than Social Security and let's start implementing it. Over a period of the next 50 years Social Security taxes will be dropped 2% each year, and the taxes for the new system will phase beginning with 2% in the first year, and 2% more each year after that. Assuming we roll out the new system starting 2020 then Social Security taxes will end in 2070 and well before that most of the Social Security recipients will have either died or be receiving only vary small amounts because most people will have paid very little Social Security taxes. The SS system will wither away and/or at some point a few or a dozen years legislation can be passed that shifts the few remaining SS recipients to the new system in some equitable way.

2. Social Security retirement age must be increased on a gradual basis until full benefits are received only at 70 and recipients must be 65 to elect to receive early retirement benefits.

3. Sorry gang, but Social Security taxes must be increased for those who work. I suggest that employers should get a larger share in the increase.

4. There's bad news for Social Security recipients too: means testing. The more other retirement income you receive the less Social Security benefit you will receive, including that at some point your other income will reduce your SS benefit to zero.

There's plenty of pain to go around. Now all we need is some genius who can not only figure out a better system but also get it enacted by Congress. Good luck. I expect to be dead by then.