1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark horse candidate and party savior?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Maybe Steve can shed some more light on Gen. Wesley Clark, but some seem to think he may decide to run for the presidency on the Democratic ticket. Maybe not 2004, but possibly 2008. My impressions of him from seeing him on TV weren't all that hot. Typical ring knocker who kissed his way to the top. Did I really say that? Perfect qualifications for a politician I guess.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I was not a fan of him when we went in to Albania. I think the way they handled the Russians were weak.

His communication of what transpired left little doubt in my mind that this guy is a puppet.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

General Clerk ;) A Joke

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

He's a politician, no different from the others who might run. The only thing is he'll be the first hawk from the Democrats to run in a long, long, long time, by my recollection. But by and large, just biz as usual.

SM

5. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

Just because he was in charge of the NATO attacks on Kosovo doesn't make him a full-fledged hawk, he has actually been fairly critical of the way Bush has handled Iraq urging him to at least wait for international support for it, and to try and do so under the NATO alliance.

he's less of a political hack than the other guys who have thrown their hats in the ring... but that ain't saying much

6. Sierra Mike

Being critical of Bush's handling of the war does not mean he is not a hawk. :)

Clark wanted to stream 250,000 troops into Kosovo supported by Apache gunships, with Special Forces launching Direct Action attacks in Belgrade directly. The Clinton Administration was shocked by this, and held him in check, as did the senior staff at the Pentagon, who had it in for Clark since he was just TOO damn well connected politically for their tastes.

Clinton forced Clark into early retirement after the war. And yeah, the war ended real suddenly when Clinton said he was thinking about giving Clark the troops he wanted.

Clark's a hawk. He also believes in building consensus, which Bush does not, and he extolls the vagaries of working in concert with allies to no end. Both methods would arrive at the same general conclusion in our current circumstances, albeit through different methodologies.

But being a hawk or a dove is not necessarily the only compelling component one should bring to the Presidency.

I'm not sure what to make of Clark personally; as a soldier, he is abnormally accomplished, what with being a Rhodes scholar and former SACEUR and all. But a lot of people dislike him, and the stories range from being a political kiss ass to a backstabbing bastard.

Pretty much all that's needed to enter into politics, if you ask me. :)

SM

7. ethics

Wow.

Thanks Steve, just blew away my feelings on him and my reasons for them.

8. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

hah, yes those are certainly required credentials for a political career ;)

and to be honest if there was ever a recent period when a Democrat might be served by being seen as strong on military and defense issues that time would be now... and not being considered a full fledged party hack might just be a big plus as well.

that said, he would certainly be a longshot too make any noise come convention time at this point, but he would certainly be a more interesting nominee than some of the guys who are currently the favorites

9. Sierra Mike

Why, what were they before?

SM

10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't say that too loudly. I seem to recall a certain peanut farmer who was viewed in the same light.

11. ethics

The opposite. Thought he didn't know what he was doing and too dovish.

12. Sierra Mike

Oh, I see. No, big Wes was definitely all over Kosovo--he wanted to slam the lid on it in a major way, but whereas Bush I allowed Schwarzkopf pretty much 100% latitude in how he brought the fight to the Iraqis with his coalition, Clinton clipped Clark pretty deep, and that was using NATO. We had so many tools to use in Kosovo, yet it was allowed to drag out for more than the two weeks it realistically could have taken. And a lot of times, it's just the show of resolve that counts; Yugoslavia literally gave up the ghost when Clinton began murmuring that infantry deployments might be necessary in the campaign. For my money, Clark was right.

Still, he would probably be the Democrats' best candidate with the proper support. That party is in serious trouble, and as much as everyone hates Bush at the moment, it doesn't appear there are any serious contenders. Leiberman might have a shot, but he's Jewish, and that's probably a mark against him. Clark might be a publicity whore, but he does have the capability to make a run for the end zone.

SM