1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn It!

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I spent about twenty hours making a graphic for a script I'm gonna start shopping soon, and I lost the master--all I have is a JPG version I'd saved, and the slugline at the top is gramatically incorrect. (The original material is on my Archos Studio 10, which I use for portability, and it just died.) Can someone tell me how to break apart the elements when I've already flattened it out? I use PhotoShop 6, but am far from an ace.

Oh yeah, and title is wrong, too...it's now called Gunships.

and if anybody wants to critique my poor work, here it is...

SM

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

You lost the source files?

3. Sierra Mike

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

The airship is all one color. Filter all others out.

5. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

You may be SOL on this one Steve. Have you tried doing a search on your hard drive for all files that have .psd extension (*.psd). Maybe Photoshop saved a copy somewhere...or one of the first copies saved maybe hiding on that drive somewhere.

If not there is no way I know to break apart that jpg. Actually the jpg file is a layer compressed (flattened) copy of the .psd file.

there are alternatives though....not easy ones either (primarily becasue of the color gradients behind the text).

The text could be masked out, but thaqt leaves you with the wonderful job of trying to replicate (probably best done using clone tool) the missing gradient area.

could try and mask the background out and copy the helicopter to a new drawing. Then you'd need the original background and have to redo that piece..

anyway you look at it ...its not a quick task.

I have been down this raod before...worked on adrawing for many many hours only to have it blown away by one of the components of Murphy's law (especially the one that says...If anything can go wrong it will happen at the worst possible time..hehehe)....so now when working on anything extensive I always backup my .psd's to a Rom...So I dont loose it all..

Let me know if you want me to work the mask thing and we'll give it a go.

6. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Here ya go, Steve... I cleaned it up a bit for ya... :)

BDD... :{)

7. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

How you do dat BDD?

8. BigDeputyDog

Paint Shop Pro, smudge, clone, and lots of patience... ;)

9. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I knew that was hard work there... No easy way to get it done.

10. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

nice job BDD....

11. BigDeputyDog

Thank you all... *blush*

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Great work BDD !!

You have the patience of a saint !

13. BigDeputyDog

Here's my shot at the title... :)

14. Sierra Mike

BDD, you old dog! Thanks!!!!

SM (who's wondering what the hell a .PNG file is)

15. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

BDD, you're a genius.

For interests sake, can someone tell me if the PShop image had the pic as one layer and the text as another, isn't it possible to change the text without having to rework the image? Its there already in another layer????
    Or if it was that easy you would have done it, right?

Signed
    PShop 6 Novice

16. BigDeputyDog

Yes, ditch... that's the advantage of working in layers... you can change, delete or insert anything you want on one layer and it does not affect any of the other layers... the problems arise once you "flatten" the layers into one picture...

Steve...
    PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is a format used to transmit and store bitmapped images. It was created specifically for the Internet and other networks. It provides alpha transparency, high color support, and slightly better compression than GIF. If you are using PSP or Photoshop, you should be able to save and open these with no trouble. If you can't, IM me and I'll get them to you in either GIF or JPG format. :)

17. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

There's a lot of chatter in the graphics community about animated png support, which is easy enough. Scripted image file, same as gif, only without Unisys/Compuserve coming around every 3 years telling everyone to pay royalties for gif compression format.

I'd like to see it, myself. There was a move toward that about two years ago in the last gif fiasco, but Unisys/Compuserve seemed to back off of that stance in the face of a nasty internet protest.

18. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Ok. Thanks BDD.

19. EricaZ98

EricaZ98 Veteran Member

If the layers are seperate, just click on the layer that the text is on. You can delete it, or highlight the text and change it how you wish.

20. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

:thumbsup: