1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn, Feds Own a Lot of Land

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This country is no longer by the people, for the people.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

I wonder if they are including Native American lands.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I thought the Native American reservations were already federal lands, but managed by various tribes. I suppose the federal government could decide to take over complete control of the reservations, but that wouldn't be a smart move in the long run.

Sixty-two percent of my state is owned by the feds!

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Here's a better image that breaks it down by agency.

[​IMG]

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for finding that map, Tom.

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I don't know the breakdown of "Department of Defense" land between military installations versus recreational facilities operated by the Army Corps of Engineers, but when I worked on the recreation.gov project in its early stages, I learned that the ACoE was the top-ranking Federal agency in terms of recreational facilities operated. I forget the exact measure, whether it was number of sites, square mileage, or something else, but they ranked higher than more obvious suspects such as the National Park Service.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

You saw the news about when BLM went up against the cattle rancher. You ain't seen nothin' if the federal government tries that with the Native American lands. I guarantee the NA response would be thousands of times larger if there was any stuff happening like happened to the cattleman.

I doubt there is anybody in the federal government stupid enough to try that with Native Americans.

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

And let's not forget that the federal government is owned by the citizens of the US.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm afraid they've forgotten that.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

King George III forgot that. Oops!

We have a basic war here, where one faction wants the government to run everything (with their puppets in office) and another faction where they want the government to stay out of their lives, and intervene in only the barest minimal manner.

Guess I just described the basic problem. I had an interesting discussion with a friend who is a psychologist. She says basically liberals want mommy government because they grew up without adequate parents. They want government to be mommy and daddy for them.

I moved out from mommy and daddy's house at about 22 years old and never relied on them after that. Still wanted them in my life, but I made it clear they had their shot while I was not an adult, and here after my life is my life. They accepted that well and we all got along until -- as they say in Persian fables -- the Great Destroyer took them all. (In our fantasy fables they live happily ever after.) Gotta wonder the difference in societal beliefs when one society thinks they'll be happy forever and another accepts they will eventually die.

I had a mommy and a daddy. I loved them. They raised me good. I don't want a fucking government to try to take their place. Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

12. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Only in the United States is the Department of the Interior in charge of everything that's outside...

13. Greg

Greg Full Member

Remember when they renamed Department of War to Department of Defense? Did that change a fucking thing?

We need to bring back the hated nasty Uncle Sam, where the world didn't fuck with us because we fucked them back twice over. America has lost the respect of the rest of the world. Our enemies laugh at us, taunt us. Our enemies at home cripple our industry and strive to get as many people as possible on the dole. People who are on the dole are sure not going to vote for a smaller government. Government employees are not going to vote for a smaller government.

14. MemphisMark

Greg, I agree 104%.

I remember last year's G8 summit, where Obama and another world leader (I forget who) walked down the reception line. Everybody shook the other guys hand, no one shook Obama's.

Everybody respected Reagan. They knew he loved to hit that Big Red Button.

Reagan once said, "Peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will not surrender for it, now or ever. We are Americans."

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

16. MemphisMark

Then you have the Iranian Imam who said their President should "punch Obama out" if Obama starts giving the Iranian President shit in person.

International respect for Obama can only be expressed in negative numbers.