1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutty Sark

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Not the Scotch, the ship. It is disintegrating at dry dock on the Thames in London.

I'm not sure why this one touched me. Maybe it's the symbolism or whimsy for a bygone era. Story Here.

2. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Canada had a somewhat similar situation with the historic Bluenose schooner. We lost the original, but ended up with the Bluenose II preservation trust... maybe quick work on a similar non-profit fund could save the Cutty.
    http://www.bluenose2.ns.ca/

3. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

'"We need to raise a minimum of eight million pounds ($12.6 million) for the preservation work or we will have to put her up for sale -- probably to a foreigner," Cutty Sark Trust chief executive Richard Doughty told Reuters on Friday.'

Put her up for sale? I'm a foreigner! And my birthday's in June, in case anyone was wondering....

4. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

As an FYI, the important part of this article is this..
    "We will be putting in our bid for funds to the Heritage Lottery Fund in December 2003. It usually takes about six months to make a decision, so we should know if we have been successful or not by mid-2004," Doughty said. "

In a similar way that the studios in Hollywood spend their money trying to get a buzz behind their product in the run up to Oscar time, so many of those up for Lottery grants have learned the importance of getting a buzz for your 'charity' or need. The 'give it to us, or it will end up in the hands of Johnny Foreigner' is particularly blatant. Later they may reveal it is in fact not just any Johnny Foreigner, but a guy from Texas called Herb who wants to turn it into an amusement ride.
    If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.
    Seriously these kinds of projects normally fair pretty well with the grant comittee.

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well, so long as she doesn't suffer the fate of the Queen Mary ;) I actually like Advocat's idea though.

Joseftu, all I can afford is this pic...it is the thought though isn't it?

6. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Thanks, Coot! My new desktop wallpaper.