1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting the wire, part 2: cutting the cable

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

You're right about that on both accounts.

Susan Addams likes this.
  2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

It's called "Columbus Day" because the people who write the history books call it that.

3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

And it commemorates the day that a poorly educated sailor almost reached the New World and mistakenly thought he had found a new route to India. Colombus has got to be one of the stupidest explorers of all time, and we still call Native Americans "Indians" as a result of his ignominious blunder. Way to go Columbus!

4. MemphisMark

History is neither simple nor straightforward. The characters are a mixture of good and bad, you most likely will never know all of the contributing factors that led to those "historic moments."

Most historic moments are merely colossal blunders. Some went in a positive direction, some went the other way.

5. Susan Addams

Also remember that when there is a war that the history gets written by the winners. All the losers get is the short end of the stick, hopefully not inserted in a bodily orifice.

6. MemphisMark

Actually, the losers DO get the long end of the stick. Forcefully and unpleasantly inserted into several body orifices. Maybe even some created just for the occasion. :popcorn-58:

7. Susan Addams

Well Mark, I offer as an example the conflict between the Turks and the Armenians. There's no doubt there who got screwed, and not in a good way.

Actually in most large conflicts much of the loser's side suffers massive casualties. That is even worse than a stick up the ass.

I guess I understated it.