1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting the cord

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cmhbob, Sep 19, 2017.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Or rather not even putting the cord in place.

We moved this week. New place is getting 50 Mbps cable internet. Not going to pay $85 for cable TV. What are the better options for me? We've got a brand new Hisense 4k TV.

Want: NFL & college football; any food network; anything like History and true crime stuff.

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

There are now five streaming services that provide packages of channels, and you only need to choose one: Playstation Vue, Sling TV, Hulu with live TV, DirecTV Now, and YouTube TV.

For NFL and college football, as you know you mostly need the major networks and ESPN. The lowest tier of the Playstation Vue streaming service (called "Access" for $40 per month) includes ESPN. You also might get all of the major networks depending on your zip code. You can enter your zip at the top of the screen in the link below to make sure Vue is showing what you can get where you are. This lowest tier also comes with the Food Network and, very important for me, SyFy, as well as a bunch of other basic cable channels.

Add $5 a month and you get some additional channels including the NFL Network, which gives you the NFL game of the week that they broadcast.

Channels

Sling TV will run you $40 per month for its Blue + Orange packages, which will give you all of the football sources.
    Can you get any of the major networks over the air?

Here's a good article on getting NFL games without cable:

How to watch NFL games without cable

cmhbob likes this.
  3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

The new house is higher in elevation, and not masked by a hillside, so we're getting about 30 channels OTA with inside rabbit ears. I've got a spot in mind for an outside antenna too, to improve coverage. At the old house, we got half a dozen channels.

Sling is the first thing I looked at, but I figured there were others. Reseach to do now....

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Sling has issues. Tons and tons of complaints from those who tried it, experienced horrid buffering issues, and couldn't get their money back.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

OK, OK, I'm a guy still living in the 20th Century. I hear about all these streaming services and other things like Roku, et. al.

My question is can I with my Internet connection stream or access any of the streaming content or programs, networks and so to my computer monitor? I would be interested in quality movies, the NHL and NFL among other things.

I currently have for my TV regular digital cable with a decent lineup that is free. So no need to cut anything there.

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Short answer: If you mean on a computer monitor connected to a PC, yes. Just go to the streaming provider's website to which you are a subscriber, log in, and view.