1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CUSEEME at a price

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by btdude, Jan 13, 2003.

1. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

I am SO pissed about this new development. I have been a loyal customer to CUSEEME for many years, since its early days as a fledgling video conferencing tool from Cornell University. Cams were all black and white, very slow, but you still knew who you were speaking to. I progressed, as did many of my online friends to the follow up versions, for which we all paid money for the use of the software. Easy enough. CUSEEME advanced from versions 2.5 to 3 to 4 and even to version 5. As long as you purchased the software, it was all good. You coul,d chat to folks around the world. Well, now in this age of pay as you go, I am a CUSEEME customer no more. They have decided to introduce a brand new version 6. Not so bad, one would think. WRONG! With this version, in order to use it, you have to pay a fucking membership fee evry month. BULLSHIT!! I paid the 69 bucks for version 5, I should have a lifetime membership.

I have met some very good friends all over the world this way. We've traveled to places to visit the folks I have met. Anyway, this is more a venting than anything, so I'll be quiet now. I will now have to stick to Net Meeting, Yahoo and ICUII. I just wish I could have said goodbye to my CUSEEME friends. BAD business call, you jerks!!

2. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

It's always the case, when good thing becomes to good, money is introduced.

Have you tried <a href="http://www.eyeball.com/">eyeball chat</a>? It's what I use to keep in touch with friends and family members, the quality is really good, and I prefer it over yahoo.

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Cariad . . . Yep. Eyeball is just OK. And it works fine if you just want the one to one chat thing. The way I use a chat room and cam is to get many folks in a room, and have like a open chat thing going on. It's kind of like in here, but without cams and pics, ya know?

4. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Really. That's sound rather busy. Don't recall every trying cuseeme. Ah well, twas just a though.