1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CUJO

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by SixofNine, Aug 14, 2016.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

My wife bought this "smart internet security device" via Indiegogo for $49. It now retails for $99.

Setup was very easy, now to see what it does. It bills itself as an Internet of Things security device. It comes with a subscription, but the first six months are free.

Internet of Things Security Stop Home Hacking - CUJO

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Good concept, let me know how this works out.

Personally, been on either FIOS or Cable and never had an issue with anyone hacking in to my router.

3. SixofNine

Yeah, I probably would have been on the fence about getting this if she had asked me, but hey, it's a security toy to play with. Most of the house is on a FIOS router, and I also have a Netgear with dd-wrt installed vpn on the router, which I usually use.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

For the "technically challenged" I can see this being a good idea. However, I don't see how it's going to protect against something that's broadcasting a wireless channel that's not secured.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

The older I get the more I forget and the slower I learn or comprehend new things or concepts. Translation: I've become technically challenged.

How would this offer additional or different and enhanced protection of what you transmit via WiFi from your computer internet connection? What about if you accessed Wifi from your smartphone via your computer's router?

(I've always avoided using Wifi via a computer connection with the Internet because of little need and a lack of knowledge.)

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Every cable has security. The only way this is broken is when either you write down your password somewhere public AND they know where you live, or you manually go in to your router settings and make it a public WiFi (which most providers these days won't allow you to do anyway).

My answer? Not much additional security.
    Fear drives people to buy stuff. Brian's wife reviews stuff for Amazon and gets freebies. I doubt he would buy that at full price AND continue to dish out 9 bucks a month for this.

7. SixofNine

Yeah, I'm not going to pay for this -- didn't even have to enter a credit card number to start the free subscription.

This product is trying to be an "Internet of Things" security device to protect anything that has an IP address. It's even supposed to stop network sniffers and the like, which I think I'll test. My wife joined me to a closed Cujo "Ambassadors" group on Facebook, and there are a lot of unhappy customers at the moment.

ethics likes this.
  8. Biker

I don't see how it can prevent sniffing traffic, especially if the sniffer is in passive mode and just collecting information. As far as I know, there's absolutely no way to prevent that.

The more I read about this, the more I think it's nothing more than a lot of snake oil and the company is making claims that are more than exaggerated. And having a physical firewall that has to have a connection to a remote server? Reminds me of Netgear and their idiotic routine for some of their routers to set up rules. If I'm setting a rule set, I want it set locally, not remotely where one has to rely on the Internet connection in order for it to be active.

It almost seems as if ALL your traffic is going to go through their servers before it hits the Internet. If that's the case, I have some serious heartburn about that, especially with an unproven startup.

Having another layer of security is a good thing. But I suspect these guys are going to lull users into a false sense of security that's not going to prevent a determined individual from gaining access to their network. And if the company itself is nailed... Well, you're doubly screwed.

Of course not. The providers don't want you horning in on their business of making your router a public access point. Lot of the major providers are already doing this.

ethics likes this.
  9. Arc

Arc Full Member

My lack of knowledge already acknowledged--that said, I must say the guy in the video explaining and selling the product was less than inspiring or informative.

ethics likes this.
  10. SixofNine

ethics likes this.
  11. Biker

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

I started reading the transcript, but not being an IT person, a lot of it is over my head.