1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crysis

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Violet1966, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

My husband and I were shopping the other day, and he mentioned there's some cool new game out and he thinks it was for PS2 as well as computer, that's supposed to be like Quake. Anyone have any idea what he could be talking about? It's got to be one you can go online and play with, because he said he went to a forum and people were making maps for it. He loves to make custom maps but I can't even find a link where he went to this map forum in history. I probably cleaned it before he mentioned this. Want to get it for him as one of his Christmas gifts and still have no clue. :(

2. Violet1966

I found out what it is. I remember the name of the forum he used to go to long time ago, and found the name. Crysis. Yay!!! :) LOL

3. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Hey, what's the name of the map forum?

4. Violet1966

5. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I just picked up Crysis yesterday. From what I have played so far, it's really friggen good. Farcry had some nice immersion in the game, but this game takes it to a much higher level. You can shoot out the tires of enemy vehicles, blast apart trees piece by piece, and you can pretty much pick up anything you can see. I shot off the hat of an enemy. I was surprised to find that I could pick the hat up. Couldn't wear it, but I could throw it. Didn't really do anything, but it was still kind of funny. Some things really blew my mind. I was driving a Humvee down a road and ran into a group of bad guy, one of them was in another Humvee. He was shooting at me with the mounted machine gun, so I shot out the bottom of a tree and watched it fall on him and squish him. Then I took my frustration out by shooting out all the tires and windows in the now recked Humvee.

Some of the things the bad guys yell are funny. I love it when I heard one go, "Aargh...I kill you!"

The game is definitely worth getting.

1 person likes this.
  6. Violet1966

Oh good! Thank you for the review Frodo!! :)

I think he's gonna like this one! :happy:

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Wow....looks like I'm going to have to pick it up as well. Thanks for the review Frodo!!!

8. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

No problamo. You should try the demo out first to make sure it's something you are into, but I don't think you will be disappointed. Like Farcry, you can go pretty much anywhere and deal with any problems in many different ways.

9. Violet1966

I'm just so far detached from gaming right now, I'm really surprised at myself this morning, realizing what this game is now. ;) LOL

10. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

I have heard that this game pretty much kills every PC out there. People are getting brand new top of the line systems just so they can turn the settings up in this game. Also, DirectX 10 offers no benefit over DirectX 9 when playing this game.

11. Violet1966

What do you mean by kills computers out there? It cripples them with it's needs?

I downloaded the demo for my husband to play and he loved what he's seen of it so far. I have to look into what directx 10 does or doesn't do for the game. I know it utilizes it so I have no idea how it has nothing to do with it over directx 9. Didn't really read into it at all yet.

OK just found a review that speaks of what Crysis needs and apparently it's best run on dual video cards. I'll be curious to see how it does in full version on my 8800gtx 768 meg card.

Directx 10 does give some advantages to game play in detail, and I see now where you say it has little impact even though it's used. Interesting. I'm assuming though, that this is only the beginning of utilization, and we will see some updates for this game that will make directx 10 use worth it.

http://www.gamecritics.com/crysis-review

12. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

Pretty much. Keven and Alex from Diggnation both got brand new systems just to play the game. They talk about the game in the most recent episode of Diggnation (yes, I regularly watch that): http://revision3.com/diggnation/2007-12-13kilofv

13. Violet1966

I'm so curious now to see what my gaming beast can do with this game. I think some fights might break out over who gets to play with this one! ;)

Game due to arrive tomorrow, but it's a present for him so won't get to play till Christmas but will review as well when I get in the game a bit. :)

14. Violet1966

Well, the game is installed and hubby is thoroughly enjoying it. Our gaming machine isn't having any problems with game play which is great. Very intense and detailed. Unbelievable things you can do in this game, from what I've seen. Huge maps too. Very realistic with shading and detail.

The install for this game kinda sucks though. No icon on desktop is left behind, and if you aren't running windows firewall, you can't install the freaking thing. Zone alarm f's it up I've found out. We have to turn it off to play the game which is no big deal. My husband is having a weird issue with the pda not coming up when p is pressed. I couldn't figure it out. We were out snowmobiling and I got behind on making dinner, so was trying to help him while I was getting it started. I really have to sit down in front of it and do a clean install to see if maybe the config file somehow was corrupted. So far that's the only complaint, the pda breaking on him.

Also, if you go in through the game, and not gamespy, I don't see a thing showing where to get updates if there is any.

15. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

The first update is not out yet, unfortunatly. Actually, maybe it is, I just have not checked lately.

As for the PDA thing, hit the Tab key. Also, in the options menu you can change the keys.

16. Violet1966

I had to sit down with it and uninstall and then clean up everything, then reinstall and it's all working great now. PDA fully functional. Even using Zone Alarm now with it and it's fine. Just was a messed up install the first time. Everything's great now. Still haven't played it yet, myself, but from watching hubby play it, it's really amazing. Just the way the water looks is amazing. A trip all the things you can interact with in the game and the points thing sounds cool too. Hubby was freaking because he wanted to use the pda to buy stuff, with his points. LOL

17. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Is he playing single or multiplayer?

I have yet to try the mulitplayer part.

I am happy you both like the game. Even on the easiest setting it can be damn hard. It is definitely not a run an gun style game. The AI is really good. I think it is one of the first games I have played where the enemy will pin you down with gunfire and try to flank you. A DOOM game this is not. :) :thumbsup:

18. Violet1966

He tried playing both today. :)

I haven't played at all yet, but will play the single player a while before I dare to play the multiplayer one. I'm a bit rusty on the trigger finger these days and don't want to make a fool of myself. ;)

19. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I finally got a chance to play the demo today and really liked it. Surprisingly, my rig ran it (on the lowest settings) and the game still looked really good.

Looks like I'll have to pick this one up when I'm done with Resident Evil for the Wii. :)

20. Violet1966

My husband's already addicted to it. He's playing it right now. He's loving the online play. You move up in rank and everything with this game play online. He's really impressed with it so far. If you look at the minimum specs, they really aren't that outrageous. If you have a recent gaming rig, it's pretty cool looking, but if you didn't it would still be pretty cool, seeing how you have much more interaction type stuff in this game. It really is cool, like Frodo described above, with the things you can move and stuff. You can drive vehicles and helicopters, shoot down trees. I'm sure it does a lot more but I still haven't played it yet to see for myself. I sit and watch him play and it's pretty cool. I installed the Sandbox for him today, so he could play with the map editor a little. Glad I got it for him for Christmas because he's really enjoying it! :)