1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cry Me a River

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 7, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3616-2003Jan2.html">The Washington Post</a> reports on a "peace delegation" of "U.S. religious leaders"--fully clothed, we presume--who paid a visit to Baghdad. The most revealing quote comes from Melvin Talbert, a United Methodist Bishop, after a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz: "He understood that the image of Iraq in our country is a negative one and we're here to put a positive spin on things."

Uhm, what??!!? What possible positive SPIN can you put on Iraq? "Hey, everyone, Saddam is not bad, he has a nice house, lovely people around him and he uses soap that was made without animal testing."

South Africa's Archbishop Desmond Tutu is also <a href="http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,868929,00.html">doing his best</a> to put a positive spin on the Iraqi dictatorship.

London's Observer says Tutu is denouncing Tony Blair for favoring the liberation of Iraq. "Many of us are deeply saddened to see a great country such as the United States aided and abetted extraordinarily by Britain," Tutu complains. "To see a powerful country use its power frequently unilaterally, I mean the United States says, 'You do this' to the world--'If you don't do it we will do it'--that's sad, that's sad."

Oh boo-#@#@- hoo, Tutu.

Tutu adds that many members of al Qaeda are "not lunatic fringe, many of them are quite intelligent," and--get ready for it--that people should ask why they "should be willing to pilot a plane and go to their deaths."

2. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,
    Given the current political situation in South Africa, the good bishop ought to rethink the idea of a religious solution to creating secular political justice.
    -MY

3. aedumo

aedumo Veteran Member

Tutu adds that many members of al Qaeda are "not lunatic fringe, many of them are quite intelligent," and--get ready for it--that people should ask why they "should be willing to pilot a plane and go to their deaths."

I dont think anyone questioned their intelligence, its their sanity to be questioned.