1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright Issues - Read and Heed, or else!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't know how many times the staff has requested from the membership to honor copyright restrictions when submitting posts here on Global Affairs. It seems that some consider themselves above the requirement and as a result it's bitten us in the ass.

So, in plain English so anyone and everyone can understand. If you quote an entire article, do not have permission to do so, here's what's going to happen. First, you'll be banned. Period. Second, every stinking post you made will be deleted. Period. Third, we will provide the author or owner of the material any and all information that we have on you so YOU become liable. Period.

I don't know how to make this any clearer. You will NOT quote entire articles without permission and you will NOT quote a portion of articles without giving appropriate credit to the author.

And before we start getting the "Who did this" posts, the matter is taken care of. End of discussion.

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Please let me post an addendum to Biker's post, in furtherance but in clear violation of the "end of discussion". (LOL)

The DMCA, which is so fervently demonized by the "internet-should-be-completely-free" crowd, protects the copyright holder from abuses as outlined by Biker. It pretty much says that in the online world, copyrights carry as much significance in the real world. Awwww... Ain't that a bitch.

It outlines what is a "Service Provider" and what is a "User" and what is a "Copyright Holder".

Service Providers are anyone who provides a service on the internet, such as your internet supplier (SWB, Roadrunner, et al) as well as places like Global Affairs, Yahoo, Google, etc.

Users are simply individuals and corporations accessing the internet, as well as people who post on forums and do searches on Google.

Copyright Holders are ANYONE who create almost ANYTHING. Writers, artists, musicians, programmers, photographers, bloggers, all of it! Your avatars, articles you quote, pictures you post, are all created by someone. And that someone owns the rights to them.

FAIR USE doctrines say that a person, an individual, may utilize a small portion of the item created for use as commentary, to provide an example, for education, but Fair Use does NOT permit reprinting entire articles without permission. In other words, a person may quote a book and reference it in a school term paper OR on a place like Global Affairs for the purpose of commentary and discussion. A person may not quote an entire AP article, reprinting it here EVEN WITH credits without specific permission. A person may CERTAINLY NOT reprint articles and claim they were his/her own creations.

The very same DMCA that protects the copyright holder and so severely penalizes the copyright violator ALSO protects the Service Provider (as in Global Affairs) from the actions of the User (that would be anyone who posts here) PROVIDED we take immediate and significant action to protect the copyright holder in the event that a copyright violation is brought to our attention.

What was brought to our attention was an intentional and illegal act, punishable by prison time, and it was highly unethical. Our rules plainly state that quoting is okay and how it must be done. The penalty for blatant copyright violations is termination of your Global Affairs account.

3. Biker

I think some folks need a bloody reminder about quoting. Last time folks. Thou shalt NOT quote entire articles unless you have absolute permission from the author. Period. End of discussion. I'm going to start whacking posts that violate this. You have been forewarned.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just for my own edification...

If an article is quoted in a post (in full) with additional commentary by the poster, and the link back to said article is given in said post, is it still "bad" even if the site quoted has this disclaimer in it's site's privacy policies?
    Just curious so as to not do the same mistake.
    Thanks.

5. Biker

You therefore have permission as long as you follow the requests of the author.

Along that note, unless the site requires registration to read the article, I really see no need to quote the entire thing. But, if you do quote it and you have followed the requirements to give appropriate credit, you aren't in violation of the rules or law.

6. Copzilla

Material that has been released into the public domain by the author is not copyrighted. The author has reliquished his rights to the material and given it to the public.

In fact, IF the author releases it to the public domain, he can request - but not demand - recognition, links, etc. Once it's public, it's no longer his.

Now Andy, here's the catch. How do you know the site is accurate, and the person who says it is public domain is the author? How do you know it's not some punk who is saying "I saw it on the internet, therefore it's public domain", which would be patently incorrect? Because if he did - and if you improperly use the material from there - you are still liable. Good faith is not a defense to copyright violation. You're required to be more diligant than that.

7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The one I had in mind (regarding something I saw this AM, then this post was bumped) was the United States Marines...

I would hope I could trust some crusty ol' leathernecks regarding a story of one of their own. rofl

But I do get your point about questionable authorism even if it is on a site and public domain is granted.

Thank all for helping me understand a bit more.

8. Copzilla

If it was a government site, then you're safe, yes... :) Where people get into trouble with this is snatching stuff from pre-teen sites and then claiming good faith defense. BZZZZT!

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Good "advice" and clear and direct instructions from the staff. Nothing ambigous. Simply speaking of a formal rule that has been in place at GA as long as I know about.

In the spirit of this thread I would like to add something: I have been seeing more and more posts where people have been going the opposite direction. They do little more than offer up a dozen words and a link to an article to prove their point lightly spoken of in their 12 word intro.

So as a suppliment and not a complaint about or contradiction to what CopZ and Chainsaw are addressing, please refer to FAQ #3 at GA:

"Global Affairs is not a wire news service. When posting a link to an article, take the time to also post a thought process or premise to get the discussion going. This forum is for discussion and interaction, not a hot link to a news room."

So a clear minimum reasonable standard is requested at least by this member--and please, all members, don't respond to a rebuttal or question about the premise you make if challenged by saying in response--"read the linked article." :)

10. Biker

Uh huh. I saw the very same article, and the conditions that you posted from their site were not met.

I'm dead serious about this topic. It damn near bit this site in the ass once, and I will not allow it to happen again.